[Bug?] Copy to Clipboard not working right after Patch 8

I believe this was mentioned somewhere before regarding copying text between maps, but I'm having the same problem using Copy to Clipboard with non text. If I select a few entities in a map using Copy to Clipboard, the entire map is copied to the clipboard when I try to paste it into another map, not just the entities I selected.

Anyone know what's going on, or if there is a workaround?

Edit: actually it wasn't the entire contents of the map getting copied with Copy to Clipboard, but far more entities than I actually selected are copied.

Comments

• jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited December 2009
    After further experimentation, the problem of copying more entities than I select is (so far) really just showing up in one map as I am able to do multiple entity Copy to Clipboard actions in other maps. Weird.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    We've got a few reports of this happening, but it seems to be intermittent. I can't reproduce it so far. If anyone has a series of instructions on how this can be reliably reproduced, I'd like to hear them!

If it is still happening reliably with that map, please send it to me, so that I can take a look at it. Are you copying over to a second instance of CC3? Or are you opening a new map to paste in the same CC3 instance?
    edited December 2009
    It's definitely intermittent. I've been using Copy to Clipboard by opening a new map within the same instance of CC3. Attached is the result of one such attempt. The entities to the left of the line is what I wanted to copy (and selected from the source map), the entities to the right of the red line are what copied over. I tried the same Copy to Clipboard again, and the second time I only got the entities I wanted.

The source map was based on the old school annual. I hid the Grid and Background sheets before I did the Copy to Clipboard to select the entities I wanted to copy. I didn't save the source map either after I completed the command and opened up the new map to paste into. The extra entities show up every time I do it that way.

I made a copy of the source map with a different name that I saved with the two sheets hidden after I did the Copy to Clipboard selection. I opened a new map and went to paste, and the first time I got the extra entities I didn't want. If I reopened the copy of the source map and tried again, the second time only the entities I wanted to select got copied over to a new map. Again, all of this was within the same instance of CC3.
  • Can anyone see that PNG file? I can't in Firefox 3.5.5. It was exported directly from CC3.
    edited December 2009
    I can't see it in IE 8 either - I don't think it uploaded properly - nothing to do with CC3. Will try again...
    edited December 2009
    I have no idea why the PNG won't upload in Firefox or IE8. The file opens properly otherwise and looks fine. Maybe something's wrong with the message board. I'll have to try again later.

Ralf, I emailed you copies of the FCWs - thanks again for your help.
  • 6 days later
    edited December 2009
    I noticed a couple of things with Copy to Clipboard - it now seems to place selected items on the correct Sheet as well as Layer on Paste - that's new to Patch 8, right? If it's new, I definitely love it, but could the changes to that command be causing problems?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: jaerdaphit now seems to place selected items on the correct Sheet as well as Layer on Paste - that's new to Patch 8, right?
    Yes, that is one of the new features of Update 8. A very helpful feature indeed. It would be my guess as well that the reported problems lies with the updated code for this command. I haven't experienced this error myself though.
    edited December 2009
    Well that's cool because I'd forgotten I'd suggested it back in May when Simon was looking for suggestions for new features. :)

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=914&page=1#Item_29
  • 27 days later
  • Has anything been figured out with this? I'm trying to copy a land mass poly from one map to another and it seems to be copying all entities from the sheet rather than just the one poly. Also, when I paste into the new map, it pastes two, sometimes three copies on top of each other, even though I've only clicked once. I have to delete the extraneous copies by tag number to get rid of them.

Is there a way to revert to patch 7 until this is figured?
  • Usually the clipboard copy works as intended on second try.
    What I do is make first try, undo, select again, copy, fine.
  • It's spotty for me - If it happens, I sometimes have to Save the map I'm Copying to Clipboard *from* to get it to work properly as a workaround. This isn't a huge problem, but a (very) minor annoyance if I want to search through and sort my FCW maps by date, and now the map I made in 2008 is dated 2010.

But having entities placed on the correct Sheet now as well as Layer with Copy to Clipboard is far more valuable to me. :)
  • Thanks Joachim and jaerdaph!

Joachim's workaround of copy, undo, copy seems to do the trick for me. Yay!

I agree jaerdaph that this update has many little improvements that are more than just a little valuable. But I'm in the process of reviving my original AD&D 1E campaign (family and old friends have recently move back to the home town). All of my maps are rumpled, faded, stained, and hand drawn. I've been experimenting with different styles to see which I liked best for this campaign. I mapped my world out in basic vector shapes, but wanted to copy one of the land masses into the different templates to play around with. The glitches in the copy to clipboard had me pulling my hair out.

All is well now. I should have known to just ask here because someone would have a work around. :)
  • Posted By: jaerdaphCan anyone see that PNG file? I can't in Firefox 3.5.5. It was exported directly from CC3.
    It doesn't seem to be consistant. One time I export to png, its viewable in a browser. Other times not. This happens when I do a column of 20 ocean surface maps. The only change would be name of the map in my grid system on each map. I do a 'save as' after making the text changes, then move on to the next map. Nothing else changes.

When I 'save as' bmp, and use Irfanview to convert the bmp to a png file. That works everytime.