Trouble filling simple shapes

New user, basic question. When using a drawing tool on the right like box, polygon, or circle, the shape comes out hollow, no fill, even when the fill style for the overall map is set to solid. When I check the shape's properties, it shows that the fill style is solid, but the center is clear, no color, nothing. What do I have to do to get basic shapes to fill with a solid color? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2009
    This is determined by the line width. If the line width of the shape is larger than zero, the fill applies to the line, but if the line width is 0, it applies to the shape itself.
    You can change the line width through the indicator in the top status bar.
  • Thanks Monsen. That works. I've made a map of a village that's a bit crowded, not a lot of room for text for labeling. I want to use number references and a separate map key with names/descriptions. So I'm trying to create small, outlined circles in which I'll place numbers. How can I make a filled white circle that also has a black outline?
    Either draw the white circle, then use "outline in black" (right above the "circle" button") to give it a black outline. Or, make two identical circles, one with a line width and black fill, and one without a line width and white fill. To make sure they are identical, the easiest is to make one (the white one), then make a copy of it in the same location, and finally, change the line width and fill color of the copy (use the "prior" command to only select the copy when using the change properties tool)
    Note that if you need several such circles, the easiest is to make one you are comfortable with, then define it as a symbol. This lets you easily place copies later. Also note that a vector symbol lives inside the map file you created it in, so you don't have to deal with additional files.
  • Monsen, you're the best! I really appreciate your help.
    You're welcome. Have fun mapping.