How do you make HUGE maps?

Hi, I'm playing around with my new CC3, and have a question about huge maps. I will attach 3 files to make my problem more visable.

My problem is that the bigger the map is, the worse the "resolution" will become. In particular, I am tyring to draw land masses, and the random coastline will just become a straight line with bigger maps.

Attached are 3 files: one 60x60 mile land mass with a 100x100 map resolution, one 60x60 mile land mass with a 1000x1000 map resolution, and one 60x60 mile land mass with a 10000x10000 map resolution. This later is almost a square.

I would like to draw land masses that are like on the 100x100 map, but I would like to make my map big.

Is there a way to do this, other than draw small parts of the map, and paste them together?

Thanks,

Ati

Comments

• Okay, I can only add 1 attachment, so the first one was the 100x100, this one is the 1000x1000:
  • And the final one is the 10000x10000

The land mass is always the same size! 60x60 miles.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    By default, the drawing tool fractalization values are set up as % of the map borders, meaning larger maps produce simpler forms, given the same absolute size of the form.
    To change this, you can edit the drawing tool.
    Right Click on the "Deafault Landmass" button, click "Advanced >>", select the "Land, default" in the list, hit "Options", and change the fractal settings. Just unchecking "Values are percent of the map border" will do the trick. Be aware that windows places some limitations here, so drawing very large shapes with high fractalization can cause problems.

Also note that to place more than one attachment in a single post, all you have to do is post it, then edit it, and you can add another attachment. Reapet, and you have 3 attachment in one post.
  • Wow, amazing! This is what I was looking for!

This is going to be awesome! :)

Thanks for the quick response!
    You're welcome.

Good luck with your map. Just a word of caution, since we are talking about details here. Be carefull that you do not add too much details to huge maps. That has several downside, including the map looking messy when zoomed out, and that the map becomes slow to work with due to the amount of nodes in it (and even crash-prone if you overdo it). It is generally better to create more detailed maps for the relevant region of the map (a local map), rather than go for full detail on the world-scale map. You can easily copy entities from a larger map, and then apply fractalization to the forms to add detail when you create the local map.
  • Posted By: MonsenYou can easily copy entities from a larger map, and then apply fractalization to the forms to add detail when you create the local map.
    By "easily", you mean the 87-step guide? :)
  • I already see what you mean by the slowness. I'll have to rethink my original idea of the huge map. :)
    edited December 2009
    Posted By: AtiBy "easily", you mean the 87-step guide? :)
    It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For instance, to make a more detaield map of a single island or complete continent, all you need to do is to copy the entity to another map. It is only a bit of work when you need to cut and trim entities. There is also another option available if you prefer tracing instead. Instructions for both methods are linked from this post
  • For me, I cut down on rendering times by making several smaller square or rectangular areas instead of one large map. Then they are combined on my web site by locating them next to each other using html.