Windows 7, CC3, and the always corrupted download/install DVD

For what it's worth, I'm having the always-corrupted-file-download issue, on a newly installed Windows 7 box, but *only* with files downloaded from the ProFantasy site, and regardless of which browser I use. In trying to install CC3 on the new box, I downloaded the files to my old XP laptop (where I currently use CC3), unpack them, and then transfer them over, only to have the InstallAware wizard stop halfway through verification to claim that file is corrupt or the "password is wrong". However, any file I download from any other site (firefox, chrome, etc.) comes down just fine. Also, running CC3Setup.exe from the install DVD (using Run As Administrator) causes the same "file is corrupt or password is wrong" message. After going through this all, I assumed that W7 and CC3 weren't going to get along just yet, but I've seen notes from some folks that they were able to get it installed, and then patched on W7.

For those of you that have done this successfully, I'm open to hearing any tips or trick.

Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Scott, have you run the install files with the "Run As Admin" option (right-click)? If not, does that help?
  • Honestly, I had the exact same problem with a Windows XP software program. As it turns out Windows was corrupt, and I just needed to do a complete reinstall. A few months later the Hard Drive in that machine died so the corruption may have been related to that.

Go ahead and run a scan disk and see if that helps,

Start -> Computer -> Right Click Local Disk C: -> Properties -> Tools Tab -> Error-checking / Check Now.

-Avotas
  • Posted By: RalfScott, have you run the install files with the "Run As Admin" option (right-click)? If not, does that help?
    While I only mentioned using "Run as Admin" for the DVD install executable, I tried that with the executables that I downloaded and unpacked on other machines, and then moved over to the Windows7 machine. One thing I forgot to mention was that it was a 64-bit install.

I'm downloading the alternate link/file you provided now, and will report back on how it behaves.

Thanks, Ralf!
  • Posted By: AvotasHonestly, I had the exact same problem with a Windows XP software program. As it turns out Windows was corrupt, and I just needed to do a complete reinstall. A few months later the Hard Drive in that machine died so the corruption may have been related to that.

Go ahead and run a scan disk and see if that helps,

Start -> Computer -> Right Click Local Disk C: -> Properties -> Tools Tab -> Error-checking / Check Now.

-Avotas
    The OS install is fresh, and the machine has recently passed a memtest, as well as an offline disk scan. If the OS were corrupt, I'd expect this corruption problem to be epidemic, but it's only CC3 related files so far that exhibit the problem.
  • edited November 2009
    Posted By: RalfAlso, would you do me a favor and try to download this version of CC3 from your Windows 7 machine?

Do you have the same problems with it?
    Ralf,

I downloaded from the dl1.profantasy.com link on my Windows7 box, and did a "Run as Admin", and the installer verified and fired up with no problem. It's installing as we speak. What's the difference?

Thanks!
  • Just to keep the documentation flowing as I work through the installs, in case it's helpful with diagnosis, CD3 installed just fine from the DVD media, but DD3 exhibited the corruption problem.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Posted By: ScottMcG
    I downloaded from the dl1.profantasy.com link on my Windows7 box, and did a "Run as Admin", and the installer verified and fired up with no problem. It's installing as we speak. What's the difference?
    It's just a rebuild of the installer with a newer version of the software we use to create those. Does "Run as Admin" work on the old setup.exe? Does the new one work without "Run as Admin"?
  • "Run as Admin" on the old download for CC3Setup.exe did not work at any point, and running the new install file without "Run as Admin" worked (at least to the section where it offers to repair/modify/remove). If you'd like me to remove the install to test all the way through without using "Run as Admin", I'd be happy to do so.
  • The DD3 install exhibited the corruption issue as well, so if you have a link to an updated installer for it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all of your assistance, Ralf.