FT Pro Climate Question

Hello everybody,

I'm a beginner with FT Pro. Following the jslayton tutorial I just finished my first world. But now I discovered that the climate distribution seems to be unstable, when I open FT Pro it varies from time to time. It seems that the program recalculates the climate patterns when the file is opened. Does FT Pro not save the climate data?
I believe that the climate distribution comes from a restricted set of possibilities because the same patterns appear from time to time. When I directly open the file (not from the already started program) the number of possibilities shrink (for example one save seems to switch between just two different distributions).
This is strange and annoying, I need a stable climate distribution because the world has to be exported to CC3 for a campaign several times. Do I do something wrong? How can I save the climate distribution? I haven't found anything about this in the tutorial, guides or this forum. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance,
Spike

Comments

• Everytime you start FT it creates a new world.

To save a world, you export. Look under File menu.
  • Thanks, JimP.
    So, when I just save the file, FT doesn't store climate/rainfall/temperature. Just the bare physical data. Anyone knows why? Does the file size grows too big otherwise?
    So I have to export to store this additional data. To what file type? For my campaign I would like to export to CC3. Since the geography and climate might change over time I will have to modify this data in FT. Thats why I need the climate distribution fixed in some file. Exporting back from CC3 to FT doens't seem like the optimal choice to me.
    What file type is suited best for reimporting (climate) data to FT then? And how is it done? Sorry if my questions seem obvious but I'm new to these kind of things.
  • Under File, click on 'Save as CC2 file'. A window pops up, you can select a range of things like temperature, climate, basic, etc.

I saved one as basic and I see all of the climate, temperature, etc. data. Just click on the buttons lower right on the map.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    FT should maintain altitude, temperature, rainfall, and climate across runs as long as you're using the same .ftw file. I have not seem the type of problem that you describe.
  • /agree with jslayton I muck around with temp/rainfall a lot to get the map to look how I want, and I know for sure that it saves the changes in the .ftw file. The baseline might vary (although it shouldn't) because only changes to the base are saved as it recreates the map from the saved settings used to create the map.
  • After your comments I rebooted the computer and gave the latest version of the file a new name and voila: the climate/temp/rainfall remains stable now.
    I don't know what the problem was but its been actually there. Every time I opened a file the climate was changing, showing different but repeating distributions.
    When the problem occured I was working on the world for a while and had saved around 12 versions during the process. Maybe that was too much for FT and it got "confused" with the climate data. Sounds strange but I checked it quite often, repeatedly opening the file and FT. I don't know, must have been a bug or a problem with my computer or windows or whatever.
    But its good that it works now and in principle.
    Thanks for the help
  • It seems that I've been celebrating too early. The climate-issue happened again last night. And on top of that I couldn't paint any climate except tundra/alpine. No matter what type was ticked the toolbar button switched back to 'boreal or alpine forest' when I clicked somewhere in the map. The region then became tundra.
    So I uninstalled and reinstalled FT Pro. The climate painting was ok then, I could do any type. But after I downloaded the update file and updated to FT 2.3.0.8 the problem was there again. I can just paint tundra/alpine. And there still is the issue with the (sometimes) changing climate. So I guess the problem could be the update file.
    Someone else has this problem? I use FT on a MacBook with a virtual/partitioned Windows XP SP3. I probably contact the technical support.
  • Ok THAT is a problem I have also. The toolbar selection goes back to alpine everytime for me also. I just shrugged it off to maybe I was doing something wrong and went and just did the temp/rainfall thing.

No idea why i didn't think of it till you mentioned it, but I share the issue.

(Windows 7 all updates, FTPro all updates.)