Fractal Terrains Pro Won't Start

I recently re-purchased FT Pro; I had it and other ProFantasy apps on my machine long ago but wanted to play with them again.

However, once I installed FT Pro, it would not start. Without even getting to the program, Windows XP (SP3) throws up a "This application has encountered an error.." dialog box.

I uninstalled (working from the downloaded file; waiting for my hard copy to arrive) and tried cleaning out the registry of every reference to ProFantasy I could find. I also made sure all folders had been deleted during the uninstall. Then I tried again.

Same error.

Has anyone come accross this issue installing Fractal Terrains Pro on Windows XP?

By the way, I also installed on another machine running Ubuntu Linux and WINE; FTP works perfectly there, so I know it's not an issue with the downloaded file.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Comments

• I used FTPro on WInXP SP 2. Worked fine for years. I didn't use SP 3 on that computer. That machine no longer works, so there is no way for me to add SP 3 and check it. My apologies.
  • edited November 2009
    I don't believe the issue is with SP3, but I might be wrong.. I am sure SP3 has some sort of further 'locking' down of security holes that maybe FT accidently falls within the sphere of influence from SP3... even thought FT isn't a risk or anything.. so, you might look into the issue with that in mind, and find the patch that is in SP3 that you might be able to remove.. but I don't know this for sure, but would make some sense IF you were working fine in SP2.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Since most people running WinXP these days also runs SP3 (and has done so for a long time), and this issue hasn't come up before, I am pretty sure this doesn't have anything to do with this problem. I myself am running FT on several WinXP SP3 machines without problems.

I am not sure why you could experience that error though. I would recommend you send a message to ProFantasy TechSupport directly, maybe they know what may be happening here.
  • Thanks for the replies, everyone -- I don't personally think it has anything to do with SP3; I just included that to be as complete as possible with the OS information.

Monsen, I do have a request in with Linda and Tech Support and hopefully they'll come up with a solution; meanwhile I thought I'd tap the wisdom of the community on a second front tackling this problem.

If anyone does have any ideas why FTP won't start after install... I'm all ears!

Many thanks,

Matt
  • I was going to check... only to discover I didn't have it on my Vista machine. It is now.

I didn't have any problems starting it, nor creating a world, exported as a CC2 map.

I did install as admin, but not the upgrade. The upgrade to 2.3 I just ran it.