make a map

i'm trying to make an hell map, i have made a map as a png, there is a way to import it on cc3?

thanks for any help ^^

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can import it as a background image (Draw -> Insert File), and then use CC3 tools to trace over it.
  • edited November 2009
    how much big i'm supposed to make a map? i tryed many sizes and simbols still look big in the map (is supposed to be a world so quite big), i imported the map but look bad, there are somewhere samples where i can try to work on?
    The answer is basically "as big as you need". If it is an overland map, the default scale is that one map unit equals one mile. So you should create a new map that matches the size of your existing map, and then import it, making sure it fills the entire map. Remember you can resize the imported image after placing it by using the Scale tool (Found among the lefthand buttons). If you right-click, you have more advanced options, like non-visual scale, which is easier to use if you wish to input the size by numbers rather than dragging with your mouse.

As for examples, it depends on exactly what kind of examples you need. I don't know f an example for doing precicely this, but if you are unfamiliar with CC3 at a whole, I would recommend you work through the manual, i is full of tutorials to familiarize yourself with CC3. If you haven't done so already, you can download the full manual from your registration page.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited November 2009
    If you know the size of the png file, say 1000miles by 800 miles, then import it into a template for that size.

If the png is an entire world, say 25000 x 14000, then take an overland template and make a border rectangle 25000 x 14000. Insert png First corner 0,0 which is lower left corner.

Hold down shift key as you drag the mouse pointer to the upper right corner. When it is fairly close to it. Release shift key and then click the left mouse button.

Trace over the png. Oh, to help remove it later, put the png on a layer by itself.

Of course, I left out lots of steps. Going thru the tutorials will help fill in the blanks.

So yes, it can be done. I have done it over 1,000 times on my web site. Crestar
  • there is a way to set the size of the symbol, so when i open the same work the symbol dont start to default and i mess up the map?
    File -> Drawing Properties -> Default Symbol Scale.

To find the correct scale, just resize a symbol visually, then right-click to get up the "Symbol Parameters" dialog. Here you will see the current scale.

A guideline for for overland maps is that symbol scale should be the width of the map (in miles) divided by 1,000