How do I make a cut-away style map?

I'm interested in doing a cutaway style map using CC3; basically I want to cover the entire map area with a texture that's effectively the floors, then a second layer that's the wall texture. After that I want to cut away the wall texture to reveal the floor beneath, and I can have wall effects then.

What's the best way to do this? I was thinking I would have two layers (floorc and wallc) and drop the floor on the whole map then the wall layer on the whole map (which is really just a filled rectangle), then use some function to cut away the wallc layer around a shape. Am I on the right track? If so what function is that?

Comments

• The direct answer to your question is to create a multipoly for the walls: Draw the outside rectangle with texture, draw the inside polygon (the inside edge of the wall) and multipoly them together to make the hole.

I try to avoid multipolys because they are a little cantankerous. I would look at whether I could get the same effect by drawing a few wall sections as normal polygons rather than making one big multipoly. I suspect that, for one, the textures wouldn't match up across the polygons, but I haven't tried it.

Steve
  • You can also draw walls using line thickness that way you just have to draw the middle line with no polygons at all.
    Posted By: EugeeI was thinking I would have two layers (floorc and wallc)
    It's a common mistake : you need two SHEETS, not two LAYERS for doing that. In CC3, Layers are just labels to put similar entities in the same room. Sheets work like transparent paper sheets piling. Note that the higher in the sheet window, the lowest on the pile.