Limited resolution in Fractal Terrains Export

Hi,

I have bought FTPro just yesterday, because I wanted to export my world I made before in the Demoversion in highres.
Well, I want to export this map in bmp with a resolution of 10,000px width or higher, but everytime I am trying to do so FT crashes completely. I've tried both, the sphericalmap export and the simple "Save as..." option. Exporting multible files would also be great, but there an bmp export doesn't seems to be possible, just jpeg.
Can you help me?

Greetz Thot

Comments

• You can always use Irfanview to convert the jpg to bmp.

Irfanview
  • Thx, I know that, but the problem is that jpeg is to much compressed for my purposes. I need a file format without information loss, like bmp. any other suggestions?
  • What OS are you using, is it vista?
  • I believe that .PNG has the best balance between storage space and level of detail. A graphic artist put me onto it a few years back. I use it all the time now unless the application forces me to use something else.
  • I am using XP with SP3
    I know PNG isn't bad, but it is still compressed. Does noboby else has this problem?
  • PNG is compressed, but it's lossless compression. There's no harm in saving it as a png file, and it's probably much, much smaller than a bmp file so it might not have the same problem.

However, if it still doesn't work, you could export the world using the "Multiple Files" option. You can set it up to export in high-resolution tiles and then stitch the tiles back together in another program. You might only be able to do jpeg that way but if each tile is small enough and with high enough resolution it'll probably be good enough.
  • PNG is typically much smaller than the same graphic in bmp format.
  • Thx, I will try that this evening (middle european time ;) )
    If PNG works well, it would be great. see you in few hours
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2010
    I converted my Crestar site a few years ago from jpg tp png maps. Worth the months it took me to do it. Months you ask ? Yes, I had around 1,200 surface maps at the time. I have around 1,800 surface maps now. Haven't worked on them this year... But I am living closer to work now, and I might be able to start working on the site again.

Hmm. 4063 pngs on my site... some are people from Character Artist. Some are files I am hosting for others, half the map pngs are thumbnails. So, 1,800 for the maps, both surface and dungeon, is probably close.

Crestar

Crestar Textpattern blog

Site went up in 1999. I have added a bit to it since then. Note there are Google ads on there, no popups though. My surface maps are a hodgepoge of styles, hopefully I will get them all converted over to one style some day. Also, some surface maps, while beng converted, I ofund errors and so some mountain ranges don't match from map to map. Hopefully that wont ruin the web site experience for you.
  • Hey guys,
    at first, the Website is pretty cool JimP. I hope i will get enough time soon to take a deeper look.

To my problem: I tried to expor in PNG but the program still crashs. If I am triying to export the map in multiple JPGs I can turn resolution really high but the quality is still pretty bad. It seems like the colorpallette gets compressed to much, so converting the whole files to JPG doesn't have much sense, I'm afraid
  • Have you tried running CC3 in compatibility mode ? And saving as bmp, then use Irfaview to convert them to pngs ?
  • Unfortunately I don't own CC3. I Just have FractalTerrains Pro. I will be able to buy CC3 in a few months, I think.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    FT is limited in its allowable output resolutions because it will run out of memory when it tries to allocate enough memory to store the data. Unfortunately the versions available from the ProFantasy website lets you know when you exceed memory capacity by crashing. Not the best notification system.

FT wants 33 bytes of workspace for every image pixel generated. For a 10000x5000 image FT would require a bit more than 1.65GB of memory to generate the 50Mpixels of image data. This memory requirement is on top of any memory already in use by the program. Windows32 programs have roughly 2GB of virtual memory space to work with so it's unlikely that this memory could be allocated.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    As an aside and hidden feature, holding down the CTRL key when doing File>>Export World>>Multiple Files will change the output file type from JPEG to BMP. Sure, it would have been better to expose this directly in the UI. I'm not known for that type of thing, though.
  • WOW! Many thx! Withelp of this hidden feature I can export it without qualityloss. so I stitch them together after export resulting in one biiiiig picture. thx to all again. I'm so happy