Lockup on print

For some reason, when I try to print this file with 1' to 5" scaling, it crashes CC3. Anyone have any idea why?

Comments

• Also, for whatever reason, when I try to print, CC3 also prints my mask layer that obscures my effects outside the border. How do I prevent this?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    As for the printing of the mask layer. Have you "Print white as black" enabled in the print dialog. If you do, it will print this white polygon in a black colour

I did a test print of your map at that scale, and couldn't reproduce the error myself. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the fill style available that you used for the roof. You could try to replace it for a test print just to check if that were the problem, but I doubt it.
    Is this problem limited to just this map, or to every map you try to print at this scale?
  • Just this scale it seems. You'll notice that the map is 8.5" by 11" so that it can be printed on a normal sheet of paper. However, apparently CC3 doesn't like that idea. O_o

What good is it to print the polygon as black? Not only does that take up more ink, but it doesn't solve the problem of reducing the printable area to the proper size.
  • Should you be printing at 1" to 5', rather than 1' to 5"?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Didn't fit very well om my normal sheets of paper. Could have something to do with the fact that I use A4-sized paper though :)
    But CC made the printout at the correct scale without problems. I doubt the different paper sizes should cause CC to crash.

I assume the print white as black option was designed so you can make a drawing with white text/objects on a dark background, and then get a visible printout if you print without the background.
    The "Print everything black" has a similar use I assume

Did you try replacing the roof fill though? Did it make any difference?
  • I will try that in a little bit. I gotta finish typing up this adventure. :)
  • Solved the problem guys. The map printed and all is well. There still is the conspicuous problem, though, of printing to a 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. For example, most printers can only print about 1 to 3/4 of an inch from the edge. Also, the map is often not centered, obscuring parts of the border or the extremities of the map. Does anyone have a good procedure for making maps and printing on 8.5 by 11?
  • I just checked one of my large pngs using irfanview. In the print dialogue. There is a selection for 'centered' which can be turned on or off.

Irfanview also has 'best fit to page' or 'stretch to page' or custom which allows scaling.