printing purple! :(

I come in search of help!

I have been using CC3 awhile, but have been stumped by printing. I've made a few maps, but never printed any.

Blue looks blue on my screen, but when I print, blue looks purple!

Every other colour works fine, but purple water just doesn't work well in my world.

Is this a problem with my printer settings or something I'm missing on CC3? Help!

Comments

• LatharionLatharion Traveler
    edited October 2009
    This is usually a problem with the way printers formulate colors vs the way they are displayed on a screen. A screen is capable of displaying millions of color variations (usually 16+ million), whereas printers are usually capable of printing far less. Each printer includes a file (called a color profile, usually ending in a .ICS or .ICM) that is used as a reference to help the printer approximate a given displayed color by matching it as closely as possible. Sometimes the closest match isn't necessarily the BEST match, as you have discovered. There are software packages available that help out with this by attempting to display the color spectrum that your printer is capable of printing, on you screen, instead of using the default millions of colors the screen normally uses. Adobe include such an application (called Adobe Color Matching), but there are others out there as well. Another thing to try is to change from the blue you have to something darker or lighter and see if that changes the printed color from purple to something more blue.

Another thing to check is your printer's ink level. A printer prints color by combining three different colored inks in different amounts. If one of those inks is out or very low, the formula will be off and thus the resultant color will not be correct.

FYI CC3 is only capable of choosing from a palatte of 256 colors for any given map. Those colors can be any from the 16+ million colors available so you are free to switch the default blue to something your printer can print, and then save the palatte for use in future maps (as well as previous maps if you desire).