Are we going to see updated Installers/Patchs?

Post hing this here.. after all there doesn't appear much use posting on the email list these days things tend to be ignored from it now.. saddly.

There are a number of questions that haven't been answered on the List in the past few months that would be really nice to see answered.. they are.

1. Are we going to see all the installers updated to install properly in Windows Vista and Windows 7?
2. Are we going to see patches that address all the issues with Windows Vista and Windows 7?
- Expansion on this and examples:

The fact that windows vista and 7 will randomly crash CC3 when you open menus or dialogs even with it installed correctly and UAC turned off during the install (So don't give me the whole admin thing)
The fact that CC3 ignores the whole purpose of the USER/APPDATA directory in vista and Windows 7 and triggers problems with UAC.
The fact that CC3 seems to ignore your my documents.

some of these are really really simple fixes -

- Move the symbols and the like out of program files and into appdata where they should be.
- move the config files and menus out of program files and into appdata where they should be.
- rebuild the installer to automatically trigger and ask for administrator rights and or fix the issues being caused by it in the first place.

then there is the question of 64 bit support.. for the large part it isn't that much of a change and would give us a load more memory to play with.. at the moment CC3 tends to bog down and fall on it's rear at about 1.5 gig of used memory.. which is -nothing- on a modern computer.. it's sad when I can make a 3D model with over 3 MILLION polies and nothing bad happen.. but a city with only 100,000 or so enties crashes a program.

All I'm asking for is the product to work as they are meant to on the OS's that people use today.. that means XP, VISTA and WINDOWS 7 (because it's out for retail and not just MSDN in 8 days and it isn't going away either).

-Rob
(not likely to actually see much here because I tend to just use the list.. the forums take to long.. the list i can just download and leave.. but then the list is a ghost town these days)

Comments

• I installed VMWare's Virtual Server and created an XP SP3 VM and installed it there. Tweak out performance, gave CC3 highest priority in task manager. Still not as fast as Vista but at least it is working for now.

I heard via my recent support exchange there are plans to update the installers in the NOV time frame.

A whole new installer/update mechanism would be awesome. I really want this to work seamlessly on my Vista x64! :-D
  • Yeah well even though my PC supports Virtualisation and I can do a XP SP3 VM I am -NOT- doing that, it should not be needed and honestly CC3 cost enough with it's expansions that It should be working on what is the current versions of Operating Systems.. Vista has been out for more then 3 years now and we still have issues.
  • 1 month later
  • I haven't had any PF stuff installed for about a year now -- I keep thinking any month now I'll be able to install everything and run it on Vista 64 cleanly. I've still got it installed on an old XP laptop, but I almost never turn it on anymore. I drop into the forums periodically and see if anything has changed. In the meantime, instead of battlemats, I've been doing 3d cardstock terrain.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: loydbI keep thinking any month now I'll be able to install everything and run it on Vista 64 cleanly.
    PF has been devoting some time lately to fix the remaining Vista problems. Hopefully when the next patch arrives, the problems will be gone for good.
  • By "fix", I hope you mean something beyond "we think we've figured out a cryptic install order that will let you use some, but not most, of your legacy products".

Hopefully, QA has a clean drive image of a Vista install that they can restore quickly, and try installing things in various orders until you're sure they work.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    1. It currently works on almost every Vista system. There are a small proportion of Vista systems with which we have had issues. I can't emphasise this enough. It's only a few people affected.
    2. We think, in the latest patch, they we have solved most if not all of these rare cases.
    3. The installations are being rewritten to remove .NET dependencies in the latest version of the installation software.

Rob, I am awaiting a response from you for a tech support request.