Creating landlocked seas

So I have once again picked up CC3 and am struggling to use it. I was hoping that someone could answer a question for me.

How do I create a land locked sea? Or in other words, if I have an already created land mass, how do I remove a section of it in the middle (without connecting to one of the boarders) so that the sea will show through? If I can avoid it, I don't really want to put a sea like entity in a different sheet on top of it. Basically I am looking to put a sea in the middle of a land mass, to further complicate things, I eventually want to put an island in the middle of the land locked sea as well.

Comments

• Create a multipoly from your landmass. Then the inner sea is a 'hole' in you main land.

If you want to create an island in the inner sea you just add a new landmass in the sea.
  • I did something similar by creating a new tool. For simpicity sake, I called it "Lake" and used it to create inland bodies of water. the only differance between the default Water tool and my "Lake" tool was that it put the body of water on a new sheet named "Lake" that I placed overtop of Land sheet. I then made sure that my Lake sheet had all the same effects as the "Sea" sheet and voila!

Then, to create islands, I just created a "islands" sheet above that and put any landmasses on there. Problem solved. It might be a bit extra work than Luhrmanz's method, but it allows for the effects to display better, IMO.
  • Luhrmanz: Perhaps I am missing something but the multipoly does not seem to be giving me the effect I want. It seems only to create a entity which then disappears below my landmass on redraw. Here are my steps:
    1. I already have a filed landmass, created using land default
    2. I created a second enclosed poly, in the shape that I want removed on the landmass
    3. I click MultiPoly, and selected the poly created in step 2.
    4. Right click and select Do It

Result: The poly I created fills in with the color as dictated on the top bar, combining both the outline and the fill together and moves it to the sheet I also have displayed on the bar.
    Issue: I am noob with CC3 and CAD, and I don't really have a clue what multipoly is doing. I have checked the help and google, but its neither give a very good definition.

Wanted: I want to the subtract the poly I created in step 2 from the landmass I created earlier, leaving the default sea underneith displayed. I want the outline of the new poly to basically be a new (internal) border for the land mass. Ie create a hole in the land mass.

Does anyone know of a tutorial that shows the use of MultiPoly effectivly (better yet, that shows how to make a whole in an entity?)

Bearclaw: I was able to accomplish it using your method, but I know this inability to subtract from a current entity is going to come up in the future.
  • Easier method.

ocean sheet
    land sheet
    lake sheet

You have to add the lake sheet. With the above sequence, the lake is on top of the land and shows as a lake should.

Here is the web page that shows it, a landlocked lake. Scroll down to rows N thru P.

World All page 2
  • Posted By: Warklaw3. I click MultiPoly, and selected the poly created in step 2.
    To make a hole in a shape with multipoly you must select both the shape and the hole...
  • As Joachim says you have to select both the landmass and the shape which will become the hole.

Added to that, a multi-poly is a rather fixed object, using different sheets for landmass, lakes (or inner seas) and islands gives you more editing freedom.

I used a multipoly to create a clearing in a forest because the forest has a drop-shadow and one cannot create that on a seperate layer, but when using bodies of water within a landmass I create seperate sheets.

So unless your landmass has some special effects which cannot be recreated on the sea sheet I would recommend using different sheets for land and seas.
  • I clearly see that using multiple sheets is a valid method for accomplishing this specific task and perhaps even a better one, my effort now is really to learn a little more about MultiPoly. So as you say I can use it for other purposes if needed in the future.

That said I did figure out how to use MultiPoly to get the effect I wanted. I have listed the steps below specific to creating a bordered hole in a bordered landmass:

Creating a hole in a Landmass entity:
    1. Make a second landmass entity in the desired shape of your hole.

2. Make certain that your top information bar reflects the Sheet/Layer/Color/Fill etc.. of the end landmass desired. You can use the Exact Properties tool (eye dropper) to accomplish this.

3. Click on the MultiPoly tool and select the entity you created in step 1. If your created landmass has a line bordering it, you will notice that 2 entities are selected, your border and your fill.

4. Since I wanted to keep the boarder around my future hole, and only wanted the fill to be the hole, we need to unselect the line. I did it by using the Combine > Not and Color = 0 to do this. We should now have one entity (the fill) currently selected.

5. Hold CTRL and select the landmass that you are creating a hole in.

6. Now the Command Line should display that we have 3 entities selected. Once again we need to unselect the border. Again I used the Combine > Not and Color = 0 (as my border is black) to do this. We should now have two entities (both fills from our two entities) currently selected.

7. Right click and hit 'Do It', then click 'Redraw'

8. Your landmass should now have a hole in it. However, when I did this my black border was suddenly 'below' the landmass giving it a broken and dashed appearance. This can be resolved by moving the border line back to the top.

9. Click the 'Move to top' tool and the select either the edge of the hole or the edge of the landmass. Once again we need to make certain that only the border line is selected this time we can use Combine > And, Color > 0, then right click and selecet 'Do It'. Our border should once again be on top.

10. Repeat step 9 for the other border.

Thanks for everyones help.