New User wanting to use CC for battle maps

Hello all,

Just recently got the whole package, looks like this will be a lot of fun. One thing I want to do with this is not just make pretty maps for hand outs or my own personal collection, but to make "battle maps" for running encounters (playing 4th D&D) and what not.

Basically my plan is, rather than just have a battle mat when a fight starts, I'm going to run the whole dungeon (even parts outside of it, to add in the feeling of exploring/finding the entrance) on printed out maps from CC. I feel there is enough design in the maps that you can use them and have them not be a distraction from the immersion. Anyways, what I want to do is print out several sheets at a miniature scale (1" x 1" = 5' x 5') and put them into a plastic covering so that we can use dry erase markers on them. Then as players move around, I'll add/remove sheets so that they have a continual experience of "walking" through the dungeon.

My question is, any advice/tips on doing this? Things like how big my maps should be per paper, things to consider if anyone else has done this, etc? Just looking for some tips from the pros before I jump into this, maybe save some time figuring out everything.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Hi there,

that all sounds very doable and sensible. Make sure to use the CC3 print dialog to its fullest: Simply map the whole dungeon at "real" scale in CC3/DD3, then use the scaling and tile print options in the print dialog to print at the correct scale (1" on paper to 5' feet on the map for example). If you center the map view on a part of the dungeon you want to print, you can use the "Active View" option to print only part of the whole map. Use preview to check what you'll be printing.

Hope that helps. Ralf
  • Awesome thanks, that's really good advice!