Software Testing? Crack Volunteer Test Team?

How is CC3 and Add-On's Tested?

I am thinking some traditional software testing on Vista and Windows 7 systems might be in order.

I am not sure what resources PF has, but here's a suggestion.

Get VMWare Server and setup 4 VMs (one per OS per version, x86(32) or x64) where volunteers can log in to those VMs (in different shifts - the user base is International after all...). Also, I think Amazon has some service that you can "rent a server" and it's not too expensive. I could probably drum up some different resources that are cheap or free if this idea is something that interested PF and the community.

Make a call for testers and choose 2 per OS with a couple alternates (say a volunteer team of 10). Have them write up some test case that cover the basics. I myself have been doing QA as a professional now for 8 years and I would be glad to help write test plans and cases. I am also a Systems Administrator and can help with lab setup.

Kick the tires on the installs, upgrade combos, and finally basic functionality for two weeks before each release. Find bugs. Fix them. :D Wash, rinse, repeat until the code is solid on the release. Then the team can take on previous releases to hammer out big problems. We could use bugzilla and Source Forge to organize defects and include instructions on the forum for users to enter defects and attachments to help root cause and eventual solutions.

Testers get free software. Make it an application process and screen out those who don't work until you find a volunteer team of enthusiasts willing to get it done.

Not sure why the application is so buggy all the time, but as a QA person I suspect there is not enough resources for testing or time for testing. I am frustrated by the problems I continually have with the software but I am willing to at least try and make it better if PF is up for trying a new approach. This is a niche product and maybe it's time to involve a larger segment of the community to help refine it.

Maybe a volunteer crack team of testers could help relieve some of the release burden on PF to focus on CC3 upgrades, .NET standardization, and a universal installer?

Your thoughts?