CC3 Install Order with Compatability Updates, Add-ons, Annuals SEPT 2009

I have almost all the options for CC3 except CA 2009 subscription. I found an install order that works great on my Vista x64 OS! Here is my install order steps with prerequisites and links. I hope this will help anyone else struggling with the CC3 install on Vista x64. Yes this took a couple times to iron out the wrinkles, but it was worth it! :-D

Vista FAQ on www.profantasy.com

1)Install Prerequisites

**a. dotnetfx.exe(LINK)

**b. dotnet sp 1 (LINK) (do the regular first and then the SP1, DD3 is looking for SP 1. DON'T nab the 1.1 redistributable or it bombs on install). Yes. They REALLY need to ditch ALL dotnet 1.x dependencies in the software! For the love of whatever Gods you believe in!

**c. Windows Help for x32 (LINK)

2)Install CC3 into C:\CC3 - This is one of THE best recommendations. Totally eliminated any "bugginess" with Vista.

3)Install SS3 (Symbol Set 3) compatibility update

4)Install COS (Cosmographer Pro) compatibility update

5)Install DD3 (Dungeon Designer 3)

6)Install SS1 (Symbol Set 1)

7)Install SS2 (Symbol Set 2)

8)Install SMCities (Source Maps: Cities!). Let it install the separate viewer into the regular Program Files/CC3(or something) folder. It still updates CC3 with the CC3 specific files!

9)Install Cartographer's Annual 2007

10)Install Cartographer's Annual 2008

11)Install CD3 (City Designer 3) with Patch 7 (I use the CD, if not install Patch 7 after CD3).

12)Install SMC (Source Maps: Castles!) compatibility update (requires Patch 7) - Install this one before TTC!

13)Install TTC (Source Maps: Temples, Tombs, and Catacombs!) compatibility update (requires Patch 7 and menu is hosed if you install TTC compatibility update first!).

14)Install new add-ons like symbols, styles, and generators.

15)Install any Cartographer's Annual 2009 stuff. I don't have these yet, but since they are the most recent, should be installed last.(yes, once I get another job, this is top of my list! :-D)

- Trentin C Bergeron 09/17/09

Comments

• Thanks for this! I hate to admit it, but I haven't had any of my CC installed on my main machine for several months now. I moved to Vista 64, and just didn't feel like dealing with figuring this out... :)
  • Posted By: loydbThanks for this! I hate to admit it, but I haven't had any of my CC installed on my main machine for several months now. I moved to Vista 64, and just didn't feel like dealing with figuring this out... :)
    Outstanding!

If anyone has add-ons I don't and tries this install order, please update us on what order you put them and I can update the post!

Thanks,
  • I lied. I am having issues with SS1 when I create a map with the drawing style and then try and select the symbol buttons in the top menu. It crashes. I am exploring solutions now (can't find any related problems on the boards yet.).
  • trechrirontrechriron Newcomer
    edited September 2009
    OK. I tried the following steps to no avail.

I created a map from the SS1 hand drawn style with dark water background using the hand drawn symbols. Used to be when I clicked on the symbol button in the menu, it crashed. Then it started launching the pop-up selector, when you made a selection it crashes. Once, it loaded the symbols, then it crashed when I selected a symbol.

1) Uninstalled dotnetfx and SP 1.1 - then tried loading symbols. Crashes.
    2) Reinstalled SS1, then Patch 7. Tried loading symbols. Crashes.
    3) Reinstalled dotnetfx then SP 1.1. Tried loading symbols. Crashes.
    4) Tried updating with the CD3 menu fix. Tried loading symbols. Crashes.

I am going to file a support ticket and then I will update this discussion with my results.

Man, I was excited. I thought for SURE I had a solid install order this time. I should have launched and started creating maps obviously...

Arg!!
  • Posted By: trechriron
    12)Install SMC (Source Maps: Castles!) compatibility update (requires Patch 7) - Install this one before TTC!

13)Install TTC (Source Maps: Temples, Tombs, and Catacombs!) compatibility update (requires Patch 7 andmenu is hosed if you install SMC compatibility update first!).
    I'm confused by #13, it seems to contradict #12 - do you mean the menu is hosed if you install TTC first?

Otherwise, thanks for doing this!

Best,

jaerdaph
  • I think the order is right to get the add-ons working. But following that (correct) order 'hoses' the menu. Running Patch 7 then unhoses the menus.

Steve
  • Thanks jaerdaph - Fixed! Yes, that is what I meant. :-D

Steve - yeah, and I have discovered that my SS1 install is not working at all and I can't load symbols. I have a support ticket in. This install order may be updated again if I have to start from scratch. I am thinking of doing VMWare workstation with XP SP 2 and just using that for my CC3 stuff.
  • 9 days later
  • I surrendered trying to make it work on Vista.

I installed VMWare's Virtual Server (free) and created an XP SP3 VM. Tweaked it for performance, gave it 3GB of RAM, set CC3 to highest priority. It still is not as fast as Vista, but at least everything is working for now.

Here is my new install order for XP (using Patch 7 as the grease to keep everything working). Note that .NET 1.1 and SP1.1 can be installed via Windows Update in XP.

Updated Install Order:
    Vista FAQ on www.profantasy.com

1) Install Prerequisites
    a. dotnetfx.exe (LINK)
    b. dotnet sp 1 (LINK) (do the regular first and then the SP1, DD3 is looking for SP 1. DON'T nab the 1.1 redistributable or it bombs on install). Yes. They REALLY need to ditch ALL dotnet 1.x dependencies in the software! For the love of whatever Gods you believe in!
    c. Windows Help for x32 (LINK)
    2) Install CC3 into C:\CC3 - This is one of THE best recommendations. Totally eliminated any "bugginess" with Vista.
    3) Install Patch 7.
    4) Install SS3 (Symbol Set 3) compatibility update
    5) Install COS (Cosmographer Pro) compatibility update
    6) Install DD3 (Dungeon Designer 3)
    7) Install SS1 (Symbol Set 1)
    8) Install SS2 (Symbol Set 2)
    9) Install CD3 (City Designer 3) with patch 7
    10) Install SMCities (Source Maps: Cities!). Let it install the separate viewer into the regular Program Files/CC3(or something) folder. It still updates CC3 with the CC3 specific files!
    11) Install Cartographer's Annual 2007
    12) Install Cartographer's Annual 2008
    13) Install patch 7 again.
    14) Install SMC (Source Maps: Castles!) compatibility update (requires Patch 7) - Install this one before TTC!
    15) Install TTC (Source Maps: Temples, Tombs, and Catacombs!) compatibility update (requires Patch 7 and menu is hosed if you install SMC compatibility update first!).
    16) Install new add-ons like symbols, styles, and generators.
    17) Install patch 7 just to be sure.
    18) Install any Cartographer's Annual 2009 stuff. I don't have these yet, but since they are the most recent, should be installed last.(yes, once I get another job, this is top of my list! :-D)

Good Luck!
  • I think this should be a key tip, or sticky thread that stays visible on the forum.
  • 1 month later
  • Any help for a luddite with a new Wn7 x64 desktop? DotNetfx1.1 says there's a compatibility issue with my system ... and it scares me so much I won't install it. Which means DD3 won't install!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Wigwam, please re-download the latest install of DD3 from your order page. The .Net requirement has been removed in the DD3 install. You can retrieve your order emails from the Order tracking page. If you don't have access to an online order, please contact tech support.
  • Ralf - thanks that worked a treat, although it took hours to download - bu broadband pipe must have been stuffed with broad-in-the-beam rats!