Create an XP dll useing managed code.

Hello,

I was looking at the tutorials for creating XP dlls with C++ and C#. I was wondering if the is a way using VB.NET's Delegate, declare or statements to create a XP dll using only managed code? If this is not possible could a C++ linking dll be created that could dynamicly create the links?

Thank you for your time,
Rykazz

Comments

• 9 days later
  • The answer to your second question is complicated - Its, Yes, and Absolutely not.

You see, VB.Net (and C#) work really well with the dot net framework, they even work well with COM. They do not work very well with plain old C but it can be done. Unfortunately CC2/3 is written in Assembly, not C or C++ and the only way to create an add-on is to create a old style Windows dll, one that exposes a DllMain function.

For the longest time Clasic VB (COM) and VB.Net/C# have been able to use old style Windows dll's, but they have never been able to create one. The only way to create one is with Assembly or C/C++. But here is the twist that we can take advantage of - we can create a dll in c++/cli. Here is a WIKI entry on it. And from there since C++/CLI is a dot net language, you can directly transfer data to and from VB.net/C#.

A long time ago I wrote some tutorials on how to go about this. They were for visual studio 2005 so some of the screen shots may be wrong. But, I've tested the processes with VS2008 and they still work. I also know that one link to a setup file is no longer active so you will not be able to use its short cut and have to do some setup the long way. Other than that, they should answer your questions.

http://home.windstream.net/ls15426/

Have fun!