Any tips on managing content?

Hi. I'm a newbie having just bought CC3, CD3, FT3, the Annuals and SS1. Now I am broke and suddenly have no spare time. =)

Having played for two weeks, watched the CC3 tutorial videos, and read a lot of help files, I have a few questions for those that have been using the products for a while:
1. Do you have any good strategies for managing the content for individual projects?
2. How do I get a fillstyle I've created to be the background for a new city map? I can't figure out how to get the map background fillstyle list to present my particular background (using wizard).
3. I'm still not really clear about the difference between sheets and layers. Mostly I'm struggling to get my head around how to select the correct sheet + layer to activate sheet effects.

Thanks.

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2010
    1. blogs. I have several Nucleus blogs at a freebie web host: Cwahi No popups, only banner of text is 19 pixels high. Joomla and Wordpress works there, but requires work arounds due to certain php being blocked due to abuse.

2. load a template, add the bitmap fill under FS or Fill Style. Click on New, give it a name. Click Okay. Browse to the bitmap fill by clicking on Find. Select it, click open, then click okay.

Save the template with another name. Next time you want to use the template with the bitmap fill, load it instead of your usual city template.

I guess I should mention my surface map template, where I do the above bitmap fill add.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    3. Layers are basically categories. They are particularly useful when you wish to show/hide stuff. For example you can have a GM layer in the dungeon where all the secret stuff goes. So when you print out/export an image for your players, you can hide this layer.
    Sheets control the order of entities in the map. Stuff on the topmost sheet will cover up stuff on lower sheets (Note that the topmost sheet is the bottom sheet in the the list in the sheet dialog, as the dialog shows them in drawing order [the bottom sheet are drawn first, then the next on top of it, and so on]). Sheets can also have effects associated with them.

When you are doing sheet effects, you don't need to pay attention to the layer at all. Since most of the drawing tools and symbols choose the correct layer and sheet automatically, you rarely have to think about layers in any case. Especially when you are a beginner, you can safely forget about layers for a little while, and just think about the sheets.
  • Thanks guys. That's very helpful.