Making Pngs

Are there any special instructions for making bitmaps and pngs to be used a backgrounds in CC3, CD3 and DD3?

Comments

• I don't really understand your question.

If you want a big bitmap as a background, the only think is to respect the length/width ratio.

Now if you want tiling it's a bit more complicated as the pattern should connect to itself, ie the left edge to the right, the up to the bottom. For simple black & white patterns (such as those I use for my castle cross sections), it easy to do with CC3 itself :
    a) draw a 200x200 hollow square from 0,0 to 200,200
    b) begin to draw in a horizontal, middle area.
    c) move your drawing 100 units up (form 0,0 to 0,100)
    d) copy the previous 200 units down. Now the up and the bottom connect.
    e) fill a vertical, middle area.
    f) move all but the square 100 units left.
    g) copy all but the square 200 units right.
    h) erase the square (it's just there to better understand the connection, you perhaps don't need it)
    i) export rectangular from 0,0 to 200,200

Hope it helps, not sure if it's what you're asking for...
  • edited September 2009
    Um. Should have been more clear in my question. I'm talking about making texture pngs and bitmaps using Photoshop. Wanted to make some additional grass texture and a few other things.

btw, the information you gave above is very helpful. Thank you. :)
  • The principles stands. The left/right and up/bottom must connect. As how to do that, that's something *I*'d want to know too...
    You can however find loads of patterns on the web but I suppose you didn't found what you want (I know that frustrating feeling...)
  • Working on a town map that has a quarry. Need to make some textures for the quarry and the hills. Been through all the bitmaps/pngs for CC3, DD3 and CD3, unable to find what I need. :(
  • edited September 2009
    Make a picture search on the web (Google etc) using pattern keyword.
    Once you found something that suits you, download the pic and if necessary use a picture editor to make it .bmp
    Put the .bmp in the CC3 bitmaps folder (in a new MyBitmaps folder for example).
    Click on the Fill Style upper left, Bitmap, New. Give a name (MyQuarryFill) and click Find to navigate to your new bitmap.
    Adjust scales and you have a new bitmap fill.

P.S. save, save, save. CC3 crashes a lot when I deal with bitmap fills. Perhaps it's only my computer :(
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    There are quite a few tutorials for making seamless patterns in Photoshop on the web, see this for an for example. Do a google search on "seamless patterns photoshop" for more. Always save your end result in png - that's the preferred format in CC3.

The use the Tools > Import Bitmap Fill Styles command to get your fill into CC3. See the help entry "Import Bitmap Fill Styles" for details.

Hope this helps!
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    In Paint Shop Pro, you use Image Effects >> Seamless Tiles to create tileable textures, using the specs in the help file.