Cosmographer world maps

So I recently upgraded to CC3 and picked up Cosmographer while I was at it, as I had a Traveller game coming up. I used the icosohedral world map template to create a pretty cool map. The problem is I am not sure I like the blocky hexagon map style. It is good and quick, but I would really like to create an icosohedral world map using all the lovely fractal polygon tools and so on. But I can't seem to get any of the tools to draw on the map - they just don't work.

What gives? Do I have to change some fundamental setting somewhere? Can I somehow import the map as it stands into a different template that allows standard overland CC3 mapping? Will I need to create a standard CC3 map and then re-draw the map border from scratch?

Oh and I saw a few hints about a newer version of Cosmographer. Any news on an ETA for this?

Ta

Comments

• I have, but barely use, Cosmographer. So take my advice with a grain of salt:

The drawing tools are 'smart' (you'll see why I used quotes in a second). By default they limit themselves to only draw within the boundaries of the map. That's handy for drawing things that overlap the border -- the tool just follows the border. The problem is that they (I believe) only work with rectangular map borders and get confused with others.

What to do:
    * I think there is an option on the tools (or maybe global) to turn off the feature that limits them by the map border try to find that and switch it
    * You can delete (or move) the border, and put it on a sheet that won't cause problems. I think you'll find it on the Map Boundary layer, but you might have to experiment a bit -- I'm not at my computer to check.

The New Cosmographer (isn't there a band with that name...). Simon always gets in trouble when predicting when a product with ship. So, I don't think we'll get an ETA until the product is basically ready for shipping.

Steve
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2009
    For world maps in Cosmo, I use the Cosmo World Template Gurps or Traveller. For symbols I use Cosmo Overland hex.fsc

Makes for quick drawn worlds. Add text, voila !

I can then take one of those hexagons, and map it in detail using CC3 overland templates. ( I haven't done much on this part yet.)

In other words, use the big hexagons to map out the basic planet, then CC3 to make detailed maps without the hexagons.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Posted By: Host of AngelsSo I recently upgraded to CC3 and picked up Cosmographer while I was at it, as I had a Traveller game coming up. I used the icosohedral world map template to create a pretty cool map. The problem is I am not sure I like the blocky hexagon map style. It is good and quick, but I would really like to create an icosohedral world map using all the lovely fractal polygon tools and so on. But I can't seem to get any of the tools to draw on the map - they just don't work.
    For the tools of the standard overland style to work, you'll need all sheets and bitmap fills in the map. The easiest way to go would be to start a fresh standard map, delete the map border and background and then use Draw > Insert File to put your icosahedral world into the new map.