Re-filling land masses after Exploding them

Ok, here is the problem I'm having. I'm working on making a world map and serveral more detail maps of the continents, now I have figure out how to cut the continents down with exploding them and copying them to a new more detail view. What I can't figure out how to do is re-filling the land mass(turning it back into land after exploding it).

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• The first thing to do is to copy the shape you want to close on a separate sheet (copy! not move and best before exploding). Make also sure your fill style is not set on Hollow.
    Then hide all sheets but that one (click on the Sheet box, select the one and check Hide all sheets...)
    Now you need to draw lines closing the shapes you cut. Use a very close zoom and the Endpoint (F5) modifier.
    Right-Click on the Explode button, select Line To Path then select all the entities forming your shape.
    Three possibilities:
    a) the shape if filled, finished
    b) the shape has not been filled and looks the same. Right-click Explode again, select Path To Poly and the shape that should now be a single entity.
    c) the shape is filled but not correctly (may also happen after b above): you've got troubles
    If your shape is not fully closed, search the gap, explode again, close the gap with a line, and begin again.
    The other case is worse : you may have duplicates. Zoom closely on the point of odd behaviour, use the list command to select nearby lines (full zoom to see all the individual lines forming a fractal). On each click, the amount selected (command line, bottom) should only increase by 1. If that's not the case, you have duplicates... Erase all (on the sheet), copy your shape again, and begin anew).
    Let's hope you have a) or b) case...

Hope it helps...
  • edited September 2009
    Thanks for the help Joachim, it's brought me farther then I could figure out on my own, but I'm still having a small problem. when I do path to poly all it dose changes the lines to the fill style I have, it doesn't it's not actually filling it. does this mean I missed a gap?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2009
    Might be, but it might also be that your line have a width. If the lines defining your polygon has a width, CC3 fills the lines themselves, and not the inside of the figure. Try using "Change Properties" image and change the line with of your new polygon to 0 (Even it says 0 in the change property box, place a check mark in the "line width" box anyway and click OK to set it, as the property box lists the current default value, and not the actual width of the line)
  • Ok, it looks like I'm missing something, cause the line I use to enclose my shape is touching on both ends but when I go to to use line to path the line I drew does nothing and the rest of lines change to my fill style. and path to poly seems to do the same.

thanks again.
  • Think I figured it out and if not I found a way to do it thanks for all the help =)