APPCRASH in fcw32.exe

I have checked the limited support knowledge base and I can't find any reference to this. Searching for APPCRASH on the board only shows 2 hits.

I just bought this software package. This occurs when I open city designer and try to place an object on the map. It also occurred when I tried to save the demo island (following the parrotdeath island tutorial) as a jpg. What is more annoying, even though I hit save multiple times through the tutorial, noting beyond the original creation of the file was saved.

What I have read is that this is a problem with Vista. Vista has been out for quite a while and while it may be annoying, its here to stay. Is there a patch to fix this? The install help for Vista FAQ said there would be a patch on my download/registration page, but there is none save for the CC2 update. I'm mailing this to support as well. If this is a perpetual problem, please let me know ASAP so I can file within the 14 day window to get my money back.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: fcw32.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.612
Application Timestamp: 476086d3
Fault Module Name: StackHash_7aa8
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.16497
Fault Module Timestamp: 48f9641e
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000ab0bf
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7aa8
Additional Information 2: a91adddefb41e345a4d21de2668cc9d4
Additional Information 3: f98b
Additional Information 4: e2ab08d1ad5ed52c3fd5ad8a5f11a6cd

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Comments

• Well, I found the patch. I was on the wrong page. I am patched up to 3.24. I shutdown sidebar and many other programs running in my system tray. Still no dice. Whenever I try to place a symbol, it crashes.
  • I also had this problem, but detailed installation instructions from PF Tech Support got me through it, so CC3 is running smoothly now. Linda's instructions were:

1) Using Windows Add & remove programs, uninstall CC3 & whatever add-ons are listed there
    2) Disable User Account Central
    3) Right click on CC3’s setup.exe & choose Run AS & run it as the Administrator (not just an Admin account) Install it into a folder like C:\CC3 – not the default folder
    4) Start CC3, save whatever file comes up, then exit
    5) Apply the patch
    6) Install DD3 – right click on setup & choose the Administrator option. If you get a .NET Framework message, see this information for the links.
    7) Install SS1, SS2 & City Designer 3– again to the Administrator thing
    8) Install the compatibility updates that are listed on your account page. (no need to install compatibility updates for the addons above)
    9) Apply the patch again – do the Administrator thing!

I had some oddities going on before this, and had installed and reinstalled a couple of times, so if you're frustrated I'd suggest contacting PF Tech Support (on the website).

This all worked as expected with the exception of the first start of CC3 and saving the map -- that didn't work the first time and the subsequent installers didn't think CC3 was installed until I did that. I was ultimately able to save a map by fiddling (opening existing maps, creating new maps, making changes or not, doign a regular save and a save as -- I don't remember exactly which combination ultimately worked, but once I saved one map Vista recognized that CC3 was installed and the rest of the install worked well).

Steve
  • Thanks for the reply.

I have never had UAC turned on in Vista. The last time I installed, I logged on as Administrator, removed all programs and installed that way.

I actually had luck getting it to run. If I use a default city template, it will let me drop stuff to my heart's content. If I use a personal one, like was used in the video tutorial, it crashes immediately. Funky stuff. I'll fiddle around for a bit more before making my final decision.
  • Yes, that sounds like some of my challenges as well, before I followed Linda's instructions verbatim.

One clarification may be in order: When the instructions say, "Run as Administrator", it means that in addition to installing from the administrator account, when you run the setup.exe application (or equivalent for the add-on), you RIGHT-CLICK it and select the option that says, "Run as Administrator."

I don't think it was the user account access stuff that made the difference for me, but rather the "run as admin" option and possibly as a result of installing CC3 into its own directory.

As a small developer, I can speak first-hand of the difficulty of supporting Vista's security measures. Especially as they are patched from week to week. We released several versions of our application last spring as the recommended installation procedures mutated from week to week.

When yo uget to the other side of the Vista install, CC3 really is lovely and stable. Good luck!

Steve