Symbols Resolution NEWBIE (Help)

Hi there. This is my first question having installed CC3 (and some associated products) last week.

My problem is that the resolution of the images in the Symbols Set 2 product is absolutely loosy (i.e. clipart from MS-Word circa 1992) ;O). Clearly the resolution of these images (and for that matter all the other symbols I can see) should be available as high resolution as per the various tutorials you can view from Youtube. I've checked Google, the Profantasy FAQ and this forum but cannot find any reason why this is the case.

My setup is as follows:
Products installed: CC3 (v3.24), Dungeon Designer 3, City Designer 3, Temples, Tombs & Catacombs and Symbol set 2 V3.
Automatic Bitmap Quality: High
Fixed Bitmap Quality: Very High

Just to be clear, there is no problem adding/removing or changing the symbols - they just look crap compared with walls, rooms, corridors etc - all of which look great - strange?

Any CC3 guru out there have a clue?

Cheers

Comments

• Can you post a screenshot?
    You might be looking at the wrong symbol set... there's several styles.
  • Ok ... first things first ... I'm getting the following error when attempting to upload the attachment:

"You are not allowed to upload (SymbolRes.bmp) the requested file type: image/bmp"

Any ideas? Is there a security settings somewhere?
    Cheers
  • Well, it looks like BMP format isn't supported by this forum. Can you save as JPG/JPEG?
  • There's a symbol style toggle button by the way. You can use it to switch symbol styles.
    It's almost to the top left and it looks like two trees with arrows.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: GandwarfWell, it looks like BMP format isn't supported by this forum. Can you save as JPG/JPEG?
    Correct. BMP is not a valid image format for the web. Allowed formats are jpg, gif and png.
  • ... let's try this.

This is a noddy example. As you can see there is a nicely detailed corridor section and then a really clunky "Cave Pit 1b".

Thoughts?

Cheers
  • I've tried the toggle btw - just switches between symbol catalog sets from what I can see.

I'm just doing a re-install (repair) just in case something went wrong during the instal (just so I can rule this out).
  • edited August 2009
    No, I don't think anything went wrong. Anyway, I am always struggling with symbol styles as well, so I am not much good I am afraid, especially since I haven't installed Dungeon Designer 3 at the moment.
    You can also try and manually select symbols, until someone comes along that can help you :-)

See screenshot below... click that button to manually select symbols by browsing the CC3 directory. As you can see below the button in my screenshot there's some nice colored symbols available that fit in great with your map.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    That is the vector style all right.
    If you right click on the symbol style toggle button image, you should get a menu.
    Select "SS2 Bitmap A" or "SS2 bitmap B" from this menu for the Symbol set 2 styles, or "DD3 bitmap" for the original DD3 style. All these styles are bitmap styles, which should fit properly with your map.
  • Ok, looks like I'm there. It seems this icon enables me to manually locate the SS2 directory within which are the "Bitmap A" and "B" directories - which is where all the nice images are. I assumed naively that CC3 would point me to this directory having installed SS2 but obviously not - that would be too simple ;O)

So, apart for a couple of CC3 crashes upon selecting an image that looks like it fixed the problem, other than a few FCW32.exe errors which I'll keep an eye on - so thanks for the advice! :O)

Thanks again.
    Cheers
  • edited August 2009
    Well, as Monsen stated you should be able to use the style toggle button. Right clicking it opens a menu with all installed styles, including SS2.
    At least, I have SS1 installed and it works for me :-)

But I never use it as I always browse on my hard drive and open the symbols I need.
  • Posted By: GandwarfBut I never use it as I always browse on my hard drive and open the symbols I need.
    Same here, but it can be quite time consuming. I don't own SS2 but got SS1 and it comes with a pdf file showing all the symbols. Perhaps SS2 has one too ?