Gesture Recognition Idea for Profantasy

As I said in another post, I am getting a slate PC soon and have been looking into the new gesture recognition technologies and realized that there are some very exciting possibilities for CC.

One idea is to draw rough shapes with a pen or finger and the software draws a perfect version of what you had in mind. So you can draw mountain shapes and the software recognizes your squiggle and drops in a mountain of the correct scale. You could also use it for drawing dungeons pretty quickly. I found a program called RiteShape that does something like this and I think they offer an SDK for software developers.

You can try an online version that demonstrates the technology here:

http://www.ritescript.com/Products/Demos/rShDemo/rShDemo.html

What do the Profantasy people think of this? Are you looking at this kind of technology?

Comments

• Hmm. What would it do to the cost of CC3 ? is also an important question.
  • edited August 2009
    Thats a good question, but unfortunately they don't mention it on the site. Profantasy would have contact them and decide if the increased sales resulting from usability improvements, would justify the cost. The other option is MS may have already released a free gesture based API, based on their handwriting recognition software.

Personally I think all software companies will start using this technology soon, because it is unnatural for people to have to memorize key presses and steps in menus just to draw simple shapes. What is natural, is to be able to reach in and manipulate visible objects with your hands and for the computer to draw what you intended. With the multi-touch screens coming in as standard, I think gesture recognition is the future of software, and mouse driven menu interfaces will seem as quaint and out of date as DOS is today.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Thats for the pointer, but I fear at this time this is not something than can be incorporated into CC3. It's certainly something to keep in mind for the future though.