Help with background scales

Hello everyone. I need some quick help with some maps I am trying to make for the Gencon convention next week. I have created a 80' x 80' map using CC3, DD3 & Ss2. I am using the Grass Dirt SS2A fill for my backgrounds. When i use PDF Creator to make a file to take to the local print shop, the rocks, trees and other items come out high resolution, but the background fills all come out pixelated. Is there a setting I am missing to make this a higher resolution? I am afraid time is of the essence, as i have to get these done by Tuesday.

Thanking you in advance,
Jason

Comments

• I guess i should add a little more information. The maps were started with the SS2 Dungeon A template. Also, I am printing at 1" = 5'-0" map scale. My grid is set to 5' squares also, incase this makes any difference.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2009
    Hit the "Display Speed Settings" button image, and set the bitmap quality to "Fixed Bitmap Quality" — Very High, then ok. Now hit the readraw button, then print your map. The background fill should now come out properly.
  • I adjusted the "Display Speed Settings" per your suggestions. I saw no change in the resolution while the drawing was totally scaled out. When i zoomed in, it showed the enlarged detail. I should point out my screen resolution is 1680 x 1050 if this makes a difference. I then activated the standard SS2 layer options, and used PDF Creator at 1200dpi resolution. The final PDF still has pixelated background with sharp bushes and trees. I am tryin gto attach the map to see if there is something wrong with the file.

Thanks for the advice Monsen.
  • Well Jason you should really post files containing commercials not from CC3.
    As I don't own SS2 I cannot answer fully but first check the resolution of the png files used by SS2 (if you open the fill style window, click on bitmap file, select the style, click find file). If it's the highest resolution, (.VH) you cannot do better but for changing the scale of the fill.
    If it's possible, reduce the scales of the sample (fill style window, bitmap fill, select style, divide the scale below). Of course, it will modify the result.
    I hope I'm clear enough, have a difficult morning...
    I made two test prints to PDF creator using your file, and with the automatic (default) option, it comes out pixelerated as you describe. But once I set the options as I describe above, it looks good to me.
    You can have a look at them here:
    Fixed Bitmap Quality (Very High)
    Automatic Bitmap Quality

After changing the setting, make sure to hit the redraw button. You should then see a visible change in the drawing.
  • First of all I want to apologize if I have violated any file posting rules for the forums. Normally I do not wait until the last minute with a convention, but I did not receive the adventure until Thursday night, then spent Friday trying to get CC3 to install (website problems).

Joachim,
    I went into the map and could not find the exact information your post presented, but it did get me thinking. I loaded the sample map from SS2 and it came out at a higher resolution. I went into the fill pattern dialogue box, but could not find any differences between the two maps. I appreciate the help.

Monsen,
    I am fairly sure I followed your directions, but I do recall seeing no difference when i hit the redraw button. Now, I am wondering if I hit the right button. I am hitting the circular arrow in the zoom icon set. I think that is a right one, or did I do something stupid and not hit the right button?

I want to thank both of you for your help in this. Gencon being such an important show, I like to give my players the best experience I can, considering some of them spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars to come play at my table. I feel I owe them more than black squiggles on a game mat. I'll retry everything tonight and report my results.
  • OK.
    Launch your map, type LIST and select an entity whose fill style is causing trouble. Right click Do It or type d.
    Look at the blue panel. The fill style of the entity should be noted.
    Close the LIST panel.
    Click on the FS box upper right of your map. The fill style dialog opens. Click the BITMAP folder. Scroll down the Fill Style Name list until you get the name noted before. Select it.
    Now look to the bottom of the Fill Style Dialog. You shoud have a line stating SCALED. If the option is checked, look at the Width and Heigth next to it and try to half or quarter the values there and look at the result.

Halving the values will mean that the pattern will be repeated 4 times more thus making it smaller on your map but it will export finer.
    Posted By: Jason in OhioI am hitting the circular arrow in the zoom icon set.
    That's it. If you hover your cursor on it, it should say "Redraw" after a while.
    Note that you can use CTRL-R instead.
  • Joachim and Monsen,

Thanks for all your help. I had to play around with the Fill Style Scale, but it seems to be working better now. They look a lot better than before. I'm sure my players at gencon are going to realy enjoy themselves. I just hope they enjoy being dragged into the swamp by a giant croccodile and drowned!

Again, thanks a lot!
    Jason
  • 6 days later
  • Again I want to offer my thanks to Joachim and Monsen. I got a lot of compliments at gencon over the maps. I sent several people down to the profantasy booth to check out the program. Now I need to make even better maps for DDXP in January and Con on the Cob in October.
  • You're welcome Jason, but I think we'd all like to see the map. Can't you post a jpg ?
    You're welcome. Nice to hear that you got recognition for your work. (And even better if this lead to any new ProFantasy customers).