Making real world maps

Does Campaign Cartographer have real (i.e. not fantasy) map data for all continents, mountain chains etc. included... or as a separate product? Or where would go for this? And what formats can you import it into CC?

My goal is to make a naval game on WWII but I want nice looking continents in between. Buying bitmap "clip art" for the world's land area is more expensive than just buy CC. Thanks!

PS I got interested in CC when I saw what a CC owner did to copy the style of 1 of my D-Day maps (see http://www.g-design.us/cd/DDay9815.gif a picture of the whole 10-map series) that he threw together in a "few hours". I started in 1997 with Adobe Illustrator and learning as I went, took dozens of hours each! So I am very impressed.

Comments

• CC3 does not have, to my knowledge, real map datas but FT (Fractal Terrains), a compatible product from ProFantasy has!

Of course, you can always insert a world picture (bmp, jpg, png...) in CC3 and trace over...

Very great map, by the way.
  • Thanks Joachim! I all started when I got a 2-color copier at work 12 years ago and thought "blue rivers & seas, wouldn't that be pretty?!" And with a modest knowledge of Illustrator and a mere 60 hours I had a full color 12x18" map which needed an Epson printer that drank ink! Now the series has 4 hex scales and the largest scale is about 18' wide! All the maps are at http://www.cafepress.com/judgesguild/310224 ...yes I got my mapping bug hypercharged while co-owner of JG from 1976-1978.

Would the final product be vector based with shaded 'mountain areas'* some how or if bitmap have enough ppi to be output at a large size like 35x44" with 240 ppi? (yes, a large file!)

*I have lots of old, very flat illustrator clip art where the plains are green, mountains brown etc. But I'm looking for 'bumps' for mountains!
  • edited August 2009
    I've tried to export a view of the Cotentin below.
    First pic is a png export from FT. Second is the FT export to CC3 and converted in a jpeg.
    ftt.jpg 301.5K
    ftt2.JPG 348.7K
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited August 2009
    Or do a bmp dump. Import the bmp into CC3. Use it as a guide to draw a map. Delete the bmp.

Here is what it can look like:

page

I also kept creating randmo worlds and until I got something I liked, and turned it into an island using the same basic method. I took the bmp, and imported it into CC3. Drew rectangles on it to match the size of my other surface maps, i.e. 185x234 miles. Exported rentangular areas for each map. Imported them into CC3 one at a time. Drew the maps for each rectangle.

World All 5 scroll down to Row M. That island is the result.
  • I am grateful and dumbfounded that you could throw cotentin together for a forum response!
    Do I need Campaign Cartographer also? Or if all I want is the world, Fractal Terrain is enough.

I downloaded the demo but found that it does not have the real world data so my testing so far have been fiddling with colors that look right.

Can one draw lines of sea areas in FT? Or must I import into Illustrator (a screen image bit map version actually if not vectors)?

Thanks Joachim and Jim!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I don't think you can draw lines in FT. It is a world-making tool, not a map-making tool (That's why you export the world to CC2/CC3 when you are ready to make the map.
    You may be able to place lines on the map using overlays (External files shown on top of the world), but I don't know how easy it will be to get something to fit properly, if at all possible.

Exporting a bitmap from FT to be used by a program like Illustrator is no problem though (Note that FT is NOT based on vectors as CC3 is, it's only ability to handle vectors is when exporting a vector map for CC3 use)
  • You're welcome.

Oh, the content was already there. Some of us have had this conversation before.

To show my 'very basic' progress from FT map to CC3 maps, I put this page back up on my site.

Ideas on World All 5 map, Row M, etc

There are 14 World All map pages on my site, note that some are mostly Ocean. Anyone can use any map I have map, but please link back to, or mention to your players, the site you got it from.

Note that there are a number of areas on my surface maps for which no maps exist. Dank Forest, Trilolara, and Dwarf Home are detailed. Gashtra has some detail. With a few other places with some minor detail. The rest are just large surface map areas with no detail.

This page: text page for surface map links links to all of the surface maps I have drawn. And link that has (D) on it has 'detail' from 1 to 2 sentences to towns with NPCs, paragrapghs of info, etc.

There is a World All page, but I do think anyone on dial-up should avoid it.

Hope that helps. And thank you for the compliments.
  • Thanks to all! Let's see if I've got it right now:

1. Fractal Terrain can import data of the real world and tweak its colors/shading.
    2. Campaign Cartographer is designed to flesh out segments of the world. As such it imports a vector image from FT.
    3. One could instead export a very large, detailed bitmap of the finished world as the bottom layer in Illustrator... and add sea area boundaries, text and game info.
    4. To get at the real world data, I need to buy the CD-inclusive boxed edition rather than download either the demo or full version.

And again, I marvel at how far personal campaign mapping has come from our little brown inked bumpy paper maps of the Wilderlands!
  • Posted By: Bill OwenOne could instead export a very large, detailed bitmap
    You won't get a better resolution than what I posted above, though.
    If it's the whole world you want, it's fairly good.
  • 11 years later
  • StevenavStevenav Newcomer

@Bill Owen Well as someone who loved and still has all the maps on the little brown inked bumpy paper maps of the Wilderlands. (yes I've been around for a VERY long time in the gaming world) I loved those maps. They feel and look better than any maps Ive had ever. I'm actually trying to redo all the Wilderlands maps to make them look better and more like real fantasy maps (mainly removing the fact that they follow the hexes... that needs to change. ) I think that getting the whole wilderlands into CC3 would be a hell of a great thing to do.

• Annual 8 (2014) issue 92, has something that would interest you - Real World vector data.