Symbol Manager > Import PNGs causes FCW32.exe error

So I'm desperately trying to replace an imported PNG that was done via the Symbol Manager some time ago and I can't figure out how. The old PNG (now being treated as a symbol) has an incorrect path, so all I want to do is update that.

My only option seems to be to open Symbol Manager and then import new PNGs and replace the old one with a new one, except ........ everytie I hit "import PNG" [via the symbol manager] and navigate to my source folder, relative to the CC install, the whole thing explodes with an FCW32.exe error. Everytime.

Is there a workaround for this?

Comments

• Geez, this is killing me.

Text equivalent crashes.
    Relative path, absolute path ... makes no difference: crashes everytime.
    Tried different source folders ... crashes everytime.

The minute I hit "Okay" to instigate the import it crashes >.<

I've spent more time hitting my head against this problem than actually mapping this morning.
  • What do you mean by "the old PNG (now being treated as a symbol)" ?
    A symbol created from a PNG HAS a PNG somewhere. Look at the subfolders. There might even be up to five PNGs if you used the create different resolution.
    It's perhaps a stupid idea, but what about moving that PNG to the wrong path?
  • This is what I have done in the past -
    Symbols > Symbol Manager > Import PNGs ...
    This created two 'symbols', one of which has the path -

C:\documents and settings\natalya\maps\scale.png

This is my challenge -
    This path is not valid. I'm on a new computer and there isn't a "documents and settings" on C:\ and I'm not inclined to create one just to accomodate CC3 and one PNG file.

Sooooooo, if I view this map nowadays where I have my "scale.png" inserted on the map, it now shows as a broken image.

What I need to do is correct the path on this ... but how? everything I'm trying is coming up short.
  • Wait... do you have a png inserted on the map or a symbol made out of a png ? That's not quite the same.
    The png is inserted by Draw->Insert file

I had a thing like that happen (with a png, not a symbol, eh?). Didn't found anything else but erasing the offending one and creating a new by the method above. Try to get the scale(!) of you scale.png first to insert the new.
  • it was a symbol made out of a png - at least, this is my understanding of how the symbol manager works. The png is also available under my symbols option to the left of the main window, so I assume that the system is treating it as a symbole. Catch is, all of its instances are broken because they have the wrong path.
  • I think I understand now. You have inserted a png in a symbol using the insert file method ?

I'm sorry I can't help you then. When I got my trouble above, the first thing I tried was moving the png to the path (it existed) but to no avail.

I see nothing else then deleting the symbol and creating a new but hopefully someone else will have a better solution...
  • Posted By: Joachim de RavenbelWait... do you have a png inserted on the map or a symbol made out of a png ? That's not quite the same.
    The png is inserted by Draw->Insert file

I had a thing like that happen (with a png, not a symbol, eh?). Didn't found anything else but erasing the offending one and creating a new by the method above. Try to get the scale(!) of you scale.png first to insert the new.
    I've taken your advice and simply deleted the symbol definition from the symbol manager and done an insert file instead, which works. Looks like I can't use the symbol manager at all to import pngs and make custom symbol catalogs in vista 64, or something.
  • It would have been nice to simply edit the path behind the symbol. The "List" command under Symbol Manager will show the path, but it's not editable (that i could see) anywhere, so once a symbol has been created in this manner, you're pretty much locked in.
  • Posted By: kolyanaLooks like I can't use the symbol manager at all to import pngs
    Did you try on another file ? For example a blank one or a blank symbol catalog ?
  • yes, and whenever I hit "okay" after browsing to the source or to finalize the process CC3 crashed. It's no biggy - at this stage - I can learn to live without it, but moving forward it would be nice to have a fix in place.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    What if, instead of using the symbol manager to insert it, you use the regular symbol catalog window. After onne of the earlier patches, the symbol catalog window gained the ability to show folders with .png images, and use them as if they were symbol catalogs.
    Just hit the "open" button on top of the symbol catalog window, but instead of browsing for a symbol catalog file, brows for your .png file, and select it, and hit open. Assuming the program doesn't crash now, the symbol catalog should show all the images in the same folder as the image you selected.
    The advantage here is that this will treat the files the same way as with regular symbols, as opposed to "Insert file"...
  • Thanks Monsen - I'll try that, although my symbol catalog crashes almost as often as my symbol manager =D