Please Set up a Style Gallery or Library

Profantasy should set up a "Style Library." That would showcase maps of different styles and give an overview how it's done. I'm not thinking step-by-step instructions, but instead something along the lines of, "Annual #15 as a base, with tree symbols from SS#1, and Mountains from CSUAC."

I'm in the process of reworking some of my maps, and I'm getting overwhelmed by the number of (wonderfully) different styles available. The choices are only going to multiply. As I was looking at skaryn's wonderful overland map I realized that having a gallery of styles that gave some insight into their providence would go a long way toward helping me make choices.

Of course, the gallery should have the annual maps as-is, but also showcase individuals' work.
Steve

Comments

• That'll be great but also quite time consuming to built, so...
  • I'm not holding my breath about implementation. But if a lot of people stand up and say it's a good idea, maybe Simon, Ralf & co will add it into future plans.

I'm conscious that the current map resource has fallen by the wayside and is updated infrequently -- in part probably because of this discussion board. But I would think this would take less ongoing maintenance, but provide far greater value. It's kind of a user-provided annual. Very web 2.0 too.

Perhaps a way to make this informal, take little/no upfront resources would be to add a Category of something like "User Styles." Then agree on the information that we'd like to see submitted.

For me, I'd like to know what the base template was, where the symbols and textures came from, what unusual effects were applied, and any special techniques the mapper used. If we get a few of these into a single category, anyone could browe to see different map styles and get a good idea how to get started on it.

Maybe it's too much to ask of those who are alreay nicely sharing their creations.

Steve