A little help with basics

There is a lot of information on here to sort through, I guess I'm not even sure of what search terms to use. I only have CC3. I taught AutoCAD and use it pretty much every day, but it's the mechanical side of it, not the pretty architecture side. My point is that I think I should know what I'm doing, but I don't.

I started tinkering around for the game I'm running. The first map is one I created by adding a whole lot of detail to a vague shape from Forgotten Realms.
http://tyrion.net/CC3_Gwynneth.JPG

This second I just did myself. FWIW, it was intended as an isolated island, enchanted all to hell. I suppose any influence may have been from Terry Brooks's Magic Kingdom for Sale. For example, the Rainbow Kingdoms of the Golden Marches each had a king who was a stereotype of the 7 deadly sins. It was entertaining to play.
http://tyrion.net/Map_Nimbral.pdf
(Sorry, I don't remember why I made one a JPG and on a PDF. It made sense at the time)

Ok, so having experimented and tried to learn on my own, here are my questions....

1: Why can't I made the frickin text appear on top? Over land, sure, but as soon as I throw some trees or rocks in there, it seems random whether a tree symbol is over or under the text. I go through the commands to put the text on top, but that does nothing. I've found I just have to delete symbols from under text. You can see this is the second one for "Riverlands," but I actually liked the effect there.

2: How do I get smooth transitions between terrain types? I've seen some samples where a desert does what it should - there's a fading region between grass and tan. I just have choppy lines.

3: Similar to the previous one, there's this pdf on this site, http://www.profantasy.com/library/SS1_Example.pdf "Kingsport and Surrounding Lands." I understand some of this is from more symbols, but I'm not sure how much is from using CC3 better and what's in this SS1. I can see that fading to the desert, and I can see there's a white highlight on the coast. Obviously there's also text over the mountains, which just fails tragically when I try. How about those fancy roads?

4: I lay out a land mass and start working with it... and then later I wish some coast line were different. I can edit points, I guess, but it always goes horribly awry. I get random triangular masses sticking out awkwardly.

I just feel like I'm missing something huge. I'm working on another map that's desert, and it's just pissing me off. I'm just not sure what I'm missing. Maybe what I'm missing is days of tedious work to get a small detail done, but that seems unlikely.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 1.Your missing the use of sheets. Layers don't work like transparent *sheet* of paper one atop another. It's just a convenient way to place related item. Sheets do work like, err, well sheets one atop another. To make your text appear above everything else you must place your text on a , say, TEXT sheet that is over all other sheets, which means, the lower down the list.

2.Along with sheets come sheet effects. If you want a smooth transition between the landmass and a moutain background for example, the landmass should be on a LAND sheet under the MOUTAIN,BACK sheet. Apply a BLUR or INNER EDGE FADE to the last sheet. To use sheet effects, click on the icon looking like a pile of paper sheets, usually middle-top left of the screen. Select a sheet by clicking on it, check Activate Sheet Effects and click ADD.
    Note : most template already have those effect added. You just have to activate them.

3.Sorry, don't have the time to sort the symbols out, but for the rest, again, sheet effects, a white GLOW on the COAST or LAND sheet.

4. You could fractalize the coast using the icon middle left showing a straight line and a fractal one sort of parallel.

Yes, sheets are something huge you are missing.

Hope it helps.
  • Did you already watch the video tutorials Zem?

I consider them almost a must for new users :-)

http://www.profantasy.com/community/user_tutorials.asp
  • I have not checked out the videos. I honestly didn't know they existed until I logged in here to post. I'm at work now, and I can't watch videos from here. I'll do that when I get home.

Sheets... ok, thanks. I guess that's where I'll focus. I saw they existed, but I assumed text would automatically go in the text sheet, and that it would automatically be on top. So I dismissed it as my problem and assumed I was otherwise dumb. Thanks, I'll look at it.
  • kmunozkmunoz Newcomer
    IIRC there is a way to get text automatically on the right sheet. (There was a problem with an earlier version of CC3, I think, where that didn't happen, but it's been patched.) In the File > Drawing Properties window there's a Text sheet box. If it has TEXT* in it (which it will, usually, I think), then text will be placed on the (first?) sheet that has TEXT in the beginning of its name. However, if you don't already have a TEXT sheet, it won't create one for you.
  • So I watched those tutorial videos last night. The first time I saw they were there was when I came to this website to ask my questions yesterday. Having watched them, I feel quite sheepish that I asked questions before watching them. I appreciate your patience in helping out a n00b. I made it through G, but I'll go on.

I have one more question... Should using these effects seriously slow down my computer? It's a couple years old. It's an AMD 5200, 2 gigs of RAM, and... I'm not sure, some 256 video card, I think.

I ask because CC3 is strangely going very slowly. It's taking 3-5 seconds to redraw, and before when I was using no special effects it was < 1s. That said, it's been a while since I've used it and I'm wondering if I should look at some obnoxious Windows update as the culprit.
  • When effects are on it takes quite more time. I usually work with effects off, turning them on to check or at the end.
  • edited August 2009
    Yes, effects will seriously slow you down. It's not your computer.
  • Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

Now if only there were a forum that would help me figure out all the details of the plot for the game... sigh...
  • Zem,
    How many videos did you say you'd viewed? I thought you said through 'G'. I downloaded all of them and only came up with A, B, and C. Did I miss some?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: semirgjHow many videos did you say you'd viewed? I thought you said through 'G'. I downloaded all of them and only came up with A, B, and C. Did I miss some?
    The version up on youtube is divided into more parts (Up to N). The content of these is the same as the 3-parter available for download though, just divided more.