Show & Tell: Home brew style (input/feedback requested)

One or two of these I posted way back when, but I don't think I've shared in the current forum and I've created a few more recently using the same style. I've also created a couple of levels of 'zoom in' from one map and a pseudo-hand drawn look that is meant to be a locals interpretation of his surrounding, while still based upon the 'true' map.

This style is a home-brew style that I created to emulate my own hand-drawings from way too many moons ago.

I'd value your thoughts, opinions and general critique. (when you click each thumbnail, you can click the subsequent image to view it full size)

Top-level; western and northern edges of the same continent:

Zoom-in lvl 1

Zoom-in lvl 2

and with political boundaries on -

'Handrawn'

Comments

• Wow!
    Great maps worth saving :)
    I just hope you won't leave us here and share your style a bit!
  • I'll absolutely share anything and everything :) I've shared my bitmap fills previously - everything is custom (except for the last one, ofcourse).

I just completed the one with the desert a few minutes ago (your macro was used on this map :) ) and was particularly happy with the desert and the 'blend' into the surrounding area.
  • Posted By: kolyanaI just completed the one with the desert
    Do you mean the second one? I think an Inner Edge Fade or Blur effect would blend the moutains levels even more.

It's a great style that would make a nice annual...
  • I agree with Joachim that blending the height levels would be nice, but the truth is, these are quite beautiful as they are.
  • I hear on on the blending of the levels and perhaps I'll play with that a little. The original intent was to define the contours strongly, thus no blending, but the net result might look good ... I'll experiment with it a little.
  • Posted By: kolyanaI'll absolutely share anything and everything :) I've shared my bitmap fills previously - everything is custom (except for the last one, ofcourse).
    I love the maps and would like to try the bitmaps. I spent a long time last night looking for them -- I think I remember seeing them a while ago, but I could not find a link anywhere. Is there any chance you could repost a link? I'm finally getting a little time to set up CC3 again, and would especially like to use the cultivated land textures.

Steve
  • Posted By: sdavies2720
    Posted By: kolyanaI'll absolutely share anything and everything :) I've shared my bitmap fills previously - everything is custom (except for the last one, ofcourse).
    I love the maps and would like to try the bitmaps. I spent a long time last night looking for them -- I think I remember seeing them a while ago, but I could not find a link anywhere. Is there any chance you could repost a link? I'm finally getting a little time to set up CC3 again, and would especially like to use the cultivated land textures.

Steve
    Absolutely.

I believe they were originally posted to Jim's site, but I have hosting capabilities of my own now and will re-post tonight when I get home.

And, btw, if you make any imporvements/enhancements or otherwise add bitmaps of your own (mine tend to be a work in progress), please share - I'd love to see the results.
  • Very impressive work, kolyana! I really like how you did the cities on the level 1 and level 2 "zoom ins" - that style creates a very nice "missing link" between CC3 and CD3.
  • edited August 2009
    Posted By: jaerdaphVery impressive work, kolyana! I really like how you did the cities on the level 1 and level 2 "zoom ins" - that style creates a very nice "missing link" between CC3 and CD3.
    Thank you. I struggled with the cities for some time. On the level one maps I tried all sorts of looks, including dots within circles, triangles, symbols, stars, etc ... nothing worked at this scale. Even color was something I had to experiment with. In the end the simplicity of a yellow dot with a drop shadow won.

Moving to the next level was easier. I'm a huge fan of CD3 style and hand-draw mine (until I get to grips with CD3, that is), and I love the 'shaped layout' at this scale. My hand drawn maps did the same thing, so it was more natural for me to go this route and it works at this level. Like you say, it's sort of a 'missing link', although i hadn't thought of it in those terms.
  • I believe they were originally posted to Jim's site, but I have hosting capabilities of my own now and will re-post tonight when I get home.
    Ah, that's where I saw them. Thanks, that's enough for me to find them!

Steve
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks Jim.

Note that I only came up with the desert fill this last week, so if you want these I can always get them over to you/jim/post them here.