Duplication of Sheets and Layers

Does anyone know if it's possible to duplicate the contents of a sheet / layer without risking moving the original or the duplicate? I'm working on an overlay no matter hard I try I can't get it to perfectly line up with the drawing under it.

-Avotas

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Yes :)

There are several ways and I am sure that some of the more well-versed guys will explain potentially better than I, but try this -

There is a Copy To Sheet command (and - quoting the help):

Right click Sheets and Effects to copy entities to a sheet.

COPY TO SHEET lets you duplicate selected entities to another sheet. The selected entities remain unchanged. The target sheet does not need to be current or visible. The target sheet can be created during the operation.

The selected entities are copied to the target sheet without being displaced. That is, the new entities are duplicated to the same coordinate space, but they are members of a different sheet.

Select entities to copy.

CC3 displays the Drawing Sheets dialog. Select the target sheet and choose OK.

You can create the target sheet at this time by choosing the Add button.

CC3 then copies the entities to the target sheet, and the command terminates.
    You can also 'copy', select your entities, and when the dialog asks for a clipboard origin hit ENTER (for the default 0,0), paste, and then type 0,0 to paste the copied entities into the same location.
  • edited August 2009
    To duplicate the content of a sheet I'd first hide all sheet except the one to copy and then use the COPYSHT command to put everything on a new sheet (select all : A).

To duplicate the content of a layer you use the LAYERCPY command and select by layer (right click or L).

In both case, all entities will stay at the same coordinates.

To duplicate a single entity you can copy it from 0,0 to 0,0 (enter the coordinates in the command line, don't use the mouse) and then use the prior selection to change it's properties, including the layer or even the sheet with Edit Entity (MPEDIT).
  • edited August 2009
    Wonderful. Ya rock. Thank you!