Pre-purchase question...

I have answered most of my questions from reading the site and forums so I am relatively sure this is the product I want, but still have a couple that factor into my decision to buy. In addition to creating my own maps, I would like to use mapping software to map information in games I play. One in particular at present is based on a square grid system and there is a varying density of a resource in each grid. I want to create a color gradient to reflect this density as they are known...how easy would this be to do in CC3? I am really looking for something that would allow me to pick a color and fill that grid with it as I explore each grid, plus add notes and maybe a few symbols.

As a comparison, the color gradient I have currently been doing in a graphics program (I created the grid and can fill easily there). Would CC3 be any easier than that or would it be the same process (i.e. I would have to create my grid for each map still)?

Also, after I looked at other mapping programs, they seemed to miss another feature I would like. While allowing you to set the scale, they all did not provide a means to set a map "size," for instance after setting the scale, wanting the map to be 6" x 8" rather than taking up the full page. Is this possible in CC3?

Thank you for your replies in advance. Hopefully they will have a workable demo soon that could allow us to answer such questions ourselves.

Comments

• I don't quite understand what you mean about the map grid & gradient, so I can't answer that, but the second is possible, and very easy. It's just a matter of entering a scaling factor in the Print dialog (for instance, 1" = 500 feet, or 1" = 20 map units, or whatever you want).
  • If you mean create a hex grid and place terrain type hexes in each location, yes, that is possible.
  • edited April 2008
    To clarify...have you ever seen a "precipitation" map that shows the amount of rainfall in inches by using color gradients. There is a legend that goes along with it that contains the gradient colors and their representative meaning. Heck, even the evening news weather uses a what I am talking about by showing which areas of the country will be in the 40s, which in the 50s, which in the 60s, etcetera by using different "colors" to represent the temperature ranges.

Maybe an example would work best: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/pcpn/westus_precip.gif. Right now, I am taking a graphics file, drawing the lines to make my grid, and then using the fill tool to fill in the grids with the required color as they are explored and noted. It works, but leaves something to be desired for mapping....and there are other things I feel a mapping program would help me accomplish.

As for the sizing, I know with any of these programs you can use the scaling and determine what prints per page. What I was asking is if there is something like the "canvas size" or "image size" in a graphics program....if I know the size of what I am making, can I limit the "work area" to those dimensions so I don't have to be as conscious of where my map is really supposed to end? For example, if I know my map will be 40 x 40 square grids, can I set the scale to 4 grids per inch and limit my work area to 10" x 10"? Or will I have "perpetual" grids in my work space and can only limit this at the time of printing?

Hopefully those clarify my questions a bit more rather than making it more confusing. And again, thank you for your replies....
  • Hmm... You can have a template size of 1000x800 miles.

You only need to draw what part of that you want to, like 10x10 miles. Although with a template and map border of 1000x800, a mapped area of 10x10 miles would be rather hard to see. If you were zoomed all the way out. But you could do a 'save as' of a rectangualr section after zooming in, and show that as a jpg, png, bmp.

As for an area all one color, like an area you mention, that is easily done. A poly can be a solid color. You can make it any shape; square, round, fractal.

I use polys of different bitmap fills as contour areas. Such solid polys could be used for what ever you label them as.
  • I think I understand what you want. If I understand it correctly, you wish to draw different, layered colored polygons on top of one another (similar to a togographical map?). Yes, you can draw these and overlap them, in any shape desired. You can put different polygons on different layers or sheets and have them drawn in the order you desire (or hide certain polygons if you wish.)

As to the map size (as opposed to map SCALE) a map in CC3 can be infinite (as small or as large as you wish). If you want a map that takes up 8 miles by 1 inch you can do that. This is because CC3 is based on a CAD design. The templates are there as a helpful starting point. The so-called "constraints" of the template maps are not truly constraints as the map borders can be expanded or edited or even eliminated if you desire it. Some functions won't work correctly without the border, but the map will still draw just fine and print correctly as well. The neato thing about CC3 is it's subtle, but powerful features. Practically anything can be done with it if you are willing to put a bit of effort into it. Have a look at some of the maps in the Profantasy Library collection on the main website and you can see some excellent maps that "break the mold".
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2008
    You can see the how I use polygons on my world all map pages.

for example: world all 5

scroll down to rows M thru Q, the island shows contours made of solid polys.

At the top of that page is a link to the color chart, which shows the bitmap fills I use.