Files > Saves As ... causes FCW32.exe crash

So I'm trying to adopt a suggestion from my fellow mappers to use 'versioning' while creating maps, except when I open my map, hit save...as ... and type in an alternate name, my CC3 immediately crashes with an fcw32.exe error .... and it is doing it repeatedly, everytime.

This is on Vista 64, using the latest (7) patch, full install as per administrator and BAU directions.

Any ideas how I can get my "Save As..." functionality to work correctly and as intended?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2009
    I don't have any good ideas what you can do to get rid of the crashing, but for a workaround, try using the macro version:
    Just type the following on the CC3 command line:
    saveasm filename.fcw

Note that you can include a complete path with the filename. Also note that the .fcw at the end of the filename is very important, as CC3 uses this to determine what kind of file to save.

(As a bonus, this workaround (assuming it works) is much faster than going through the dialog)
  • Thanks Monsen.

Is there anyway to customize that to automatically save with a filename+.fcw and then combine it with a keystroke/combination?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2009
    Well, I believe you should be able to write a macro that does this for you. The saveasm command is a macro command, intended to be used in macros, after all.

And by editing the appropriate .mnu file(s), you should be able to assign a shortcut key to the macro as well.

I haven't tried writing such a macro myself, but I don't think it should be too difficult.
  • edited August 2009
    Open notepad or wordpad or such and save a new file as SAS.MAC to the CC3 folder (it's the folder where the FCW32.MAC file sits)
    Paste or type the attached text.

Don't forget to add a few blank lines at the end (hiting enter twice or thrice)
    Don't add any blank line between the lines. Don't add any space at the end of any line.

Open CC3
    Type Loadmac in the command line then select SAS.MAC
    To save your file you just have to press SHIFT F9
    The first time you use it, it will ask for a version number and a filename.
    Till you don't load another macro, it won't ask again.
    To change version number and filename press SHIFT F8.

Once you're sure the macro is ok you can paste it in the FCW32.MAC file but first keep a copy as FCW32.old, one never knows.

Hope it helps.
  • Posted By: Joachim de RavenbelOpen notepad or wordpad or such and save a new file as SAS.MAC to the CC3 folder (it's the folder where the FCW32.MAC file sits)
    Paste or type the attached text.

Don't forget to add a few blank lines at the end (hiting enter twice or thrice)
    Don't add any blank line between the lines. Don't add any space at the end of any line.

Open CC3
    Type Loadmacin the command line then select SAS.MAC
    To save your file you just have to press SHIFT F9
    The first time you use it, it will ask for a version number and a filename.
    Till you don't load another macro, it won't ask again.
    To change version number and filename press SHIFT F8.

Once you're sure the macro is ok you can paste it in the FCW32.MAC file but first keep a copy as FCW32.old, one never knows.

Hope it helps.<//enter>
    man, you rock. I knew that this was totally your field from previous posts and work you have done - can't wait to get home to test this out; thanks so much for jumping in there and helping out.
  • edited August 2009
    You're welcome.

Just hope it works ok. I got no trouble here. Just don't get anxious if you see a $ before the filename on the CC3 header. $ means current folder where original map is located. It won't appear on the filename itself. And of course, the version number is increased each time.

Once everythings looks ok and you have added the macros to FCW32.mac you won't have to load the macro as it will be loaded each time you launch CC3 along with all the macros contained in said file.

I just corrected a very minor bug and replaced the file above.

A last comment : you don't have to add .fcw when asked for the filename, the macro does that. It won't work for a template file or a symbol catalog though.
  • you are a genius - worked like a charm. CC3 crashed once I closed it, but at least it did the save-as first :p
  • 7 days later
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    I have exactly the same problem (Vista 32 here, but still didn´t put the version 7 in there, as it´s a laptop and not my main PC for using CC3). Thanks for the solutions though! :)