Source Map: Cities Install?

I've reinstalled CC3 on my new Vista laptop (both my laptop and home machines died within a day of each other). Thanks to Linda's help, everything looks to be working ok.

What I don't yet have is SM:Cities installed. Is there something I need to do special with that, or can I just install it and rerun the patch when I'm done?

Thanks for any help.
Steve

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2009
    Shouldn't be any special requirements for this one afaik. Just remember to install it to it's own directory, and not to your CC3 directory (Tools and templates will be copied to the CC3 directory automatically)
  • Yup. SMC:Cities is setup for CC2, it hasn't been converted for CC3 yet.
  • Ok, thanks. I suspected Cities hadn't made the CC3 compatibility switch, but it's been a while since I looked at it.

I spent far too long last night wandering through the Annuals, in complete indecision which style to use for my maps but having a grand time. I've been a subscribed since the prerelease, but I've not had any time for mapping in the last couple of years. Great stuff in there.

Steve
    edited August 2009
    Posted By: JimPYup. SMC:Cities is setup for CC2, it hasn't been converted for CC3 yet.
    Actuallly, SM:Cities was the first pure CC3 source map product. It comes with full CC3 support (and partial CC2 support)
  • When I installed it on my Vista machine, it installed separately. Ah, I installed cc3 at C:\ instead of C:\program files.
    Posted By: JimPWhen I installed it on my Vista machine, it installed separately
    Yes, it is supposed to install separately. While the old Source Maps products had to be installed into the actual CC2 directory to get the tools, SM:C is installed in a seperate directory, but still installs the appropriate tools/templates to your CC3 directory (If CC3 is installed). This is better that the old way, because with the old way, you basically had to choose between having the stand-alone viewer (Which was great for browsing the included maps) and having the extra tools installed inside CC.
  • There needs to be a comprehensive FAQ about all the 'install' sequences or what tricks you have to do to have certain supplemental products work correctly for CC3 or CC2... also some FAQs about the guts or creating MNUs would be helpful too. I have The Tomb for some of the more advance customization that one can do, but it is not exhaustive in any means in my opinion.
    Posted By: GeorelrodThere needs to be a comprehensive FAQ about all the 'install' sequences or what tricks you have to do to have certain supplemental products work correctly for CC3 or CC
    There already are. Installation help
    But as long as you are only using CC3 and cc3-compatible addons (That includes all addons upgraded to v3 status, as well as the "compatibility upgrade" ones), it boils down to the simple (and logical) procedure of: install the main program (CC3) first, then install all your addons in any order, then install the latest patch.
  • Ah, actually I did carefully read the installation help, then read the 'vista help." then ran the install. Then ran into problems. Then contacted Tech support. Used Linda's first suggestion. Ran into a problem. Used Linda's second approach, ran into oddities but she said to ignore them and just carry through. Did that and came to the end, seamingly successfully.

So, yes there is a canonical set of instructions, but no it doesn't incorporate our collective best practices.

But Profantasy's Tech Support, and specifically Linda, are aces. Getting her help might be the best long-term solution.

Steve