Retrieving LOST work....

Last night I was plugging away on my custom world, adding cliffs and manipulating rivers when I did something, dont remember what, when CC3 crashed. Now I had saved it several times prior to it crashing, but when I opened CC3 again, I lost about the previous hour or so's work. Is there a temp file somewhere I can change the extension and get all my lost work back?

Thanks for the help.

Jason P.
Creator of Zenborn

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    CC3 autosaves your map in a file called "AUTOSAVE.FCW" in the main CC3 directory. Try opening up this one. Note that it only keeps one autosave, so if you have worked with anything after that map, it might be overwritten.
  • Posted By: MonsenCC3 autosaves your map in a file called "AUTOSAVE.FCW" in the main CC3 directory. Try opening up this one. Note that it only keeps one autosave, so if you have worked with anything after that map, it might be overwritten.
    No, I didnt do anything with the map. I opened it, saw my work was missing and closed it in anger. Ill have to check the autosave file when before i open it again. Thanks.
  • I noticed my Autosave was off (right click on the save icon to get the parameters)
    As I never checked it, I suppose it's the default setting... or?
    Thanks for getting my attention on it :)
    edited July 2009
    Posted By: Joachim de RavenbelAs I never checked it, I suppose it's the default setting... or?
    Default setting should be "on". I just checked with a clean install. Note however that the autosave prompt dialog contains a "Disable autosave" button, so it is easy hitting this one day when you get tired of the nagging, and thus permanently disable the autosave (until you turn it on manually again)
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: Joachim de RavenbelAs I never checked it, I suppose it's the default setting... or?
    Default setting should be "on". I just checked with a clean install.
    My autosave is on and it was buggin me to save every 5 minutes, which I did...
  • bearclawbearclaw Traveler
    That auto save duos saved me hours of work several times. Definetly worth the Bugging every Is-min!
  • Posted By: bearclawThat auto save duos saved me hours of work several times. Definetly worth the Bugging every Is-min!
    Im not complaining about it buggin me, Im dumbfounded that with it on and I saved everytime it asked, I lost over an hour's worth of work when it crashed.
    Posted By: bearclawDefinetly worth the Bugging every Is-min!
    You can get rid of the bugging, and still have autosave. Just right-click on the save button, select "autosave", and the uncheck the "Prompt before saving" option. It now saves evey x minute without bugging you (Beware though, as this removes your ability to stop it from autosaving to prevent overwriting the autosave file)
    Posted By: ZenbornIm dumbfounded that with it on and I saved everytime it asked
    Did you check the autosave.fcw file. As mentioned, the autosave only saves to this particular file, not your regular map file.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: ZenbornIm dumbfounded that with it on and I saved everytime it asked
    Did you check the autosave.fcw file. As mentioned, the autosave only saves to this particular file, not your regular map file.
    I havent checked that. The program is installed on my laptop, which I left at home today because I have errands to run during lunch. So I wont be able to check it till i get home tonight. Another 7 hours or so probably.
  • Autosave can wipe out a map that loads in CC3... so I don't use it.

What I do is 'save as' a intervals. save as fielname001, do some work, save as filename002, etc.

That has saved me from numerous headaches.
  • There are also utilities on the web that will make copies of files as they are saved, essentially automatically doing what JimP does manually. I use one because it allows me to always have one official version of the map (somehow things just get too cluttered the other way) but access to the previous versions (with comments if I want) when I need them.

I use Mogware's FileHamster, which is easy, cheap and designed for graphic artists, but I'm sure there are others equally good out there.
  • I put various maps in a number of folders. So if I am working on Crestar, Ip ut the maps i am working on in the same folders that pertain to what part of my game planet they will be located in.

So it could be Trillolara. Under that would be folders for each town and city. Under each location will be folders: done, variations ( actually draft maps). Only the map I am working on would be under just the city name.

That way I don't have hundreds of maps under just the CC3 folder.
  • So I checked the autosave file and the work lost was there, however, part of my mountain range disappeared....so I am copying out the stuff I need so its where I left off.
    Glad you recovered most of it. The autosave file is your friend when something like this happens. Just remember it needs to be checked immediately, so you don't accidentally overwrite it when working with other maps. Apart from that, the tips from the other forum members relating to saving multiple versions and using a file versioning tool are all great tips for avoiding lost data.
    Making a good map can take many hours, and it is no fun having to re-do a lot of work.