Campaign Cartographer for WW2 tactical boardgame mapping?

Would Campaign Cartographer be usable for creating board game maps suitable for use with WW2 tactical wargames?

I am specifically looking to create hex-based grids on centred on 8-1/2 x 14" sheets with a rich style, similar to the ones created by Avalon Hill for their Axis and Allies series. An example of some of the terrain style can be found here ... http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/Combat_Zone_Tiles_Set1.pdf

Furthermore, the hex size would be quite large, 1-1/4" across from flat size to opposite flat side. Thank you.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2009
    Yes, you will find CC3 well suited to do this.
    Granted, you will probably have to make your own template for hex-shaped tiles, but that shouldn't be difficult. (It supports hex grids on maps, but I don't believe a template exists for separate individual hex-shaped pieces like this)

You probably won't be able to replicate the style in that example PDF exactly, but you will be able to make nice and pretty tiles.

Depending on exactly what you are going to put on to the tiles, you might find the City Designer addon usefull as well, to design city/town style tiles.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi Monsen. Actually, looking at image 2 (the Rothenberg map) on that page (http://www.profantasy.com/products/cit_examples.asp) is almost exactly what I'm looking for. Add a next grid and I', more than happy to place items on a non-hexed map and simply overlay the hexes myself. As long as I can do sort of standard WW2 terrain features like clumps of trees, hedges, creeks/rivers, ponds, fields, sand, beaches etc, than it's good.

The buildings in the City Designer package also loom perfect for my Europe village needs.

Could I start by overlaying a PNG image of my blank hexes? That way I have the hex overlay (with centre dots and hexes numbered) as a top layer, I assume?

Also, is the an example anywhere of the top-down trees to see?
    edited July 2009
    If you want a complete map with a hex grid (as opposed to the pdf you linked to which was individual hexes), you should be able to use CC3's own hex grid feature. It can add both hex and square grids of any size you desire.

As for overlaying a png image, yes, you can do that. If the png has transparent parts, you can put it on a sheet near the top, and draw under it, or you can place it at the bottom and draw on top of it.

As for top-down trees, again CD3 is probably the best product. Check maps in the gallery. CD3 also have a drawing tool for drawing trees that gives you more randomness than from symbols.
  • edited July 2009
    Great. yes, I was intending to mean I want a complete map with a hex grid overlay, not paint in hexes. I happen to have done the hex grid myself though, so could either use the built in function if I can get the hexes in exactly the right size/position as well as numbered, or just overlay my transparent PNG file.

I assume placing trees like shown in map 1 on the CD3 page is simply an area brush that will randomize placement, size etc, as well as add shadows (or is that built into the PNG files that are the trees?

One final question. On the CD3 gallery page, images 1 and 3, can I assume the trees/hedges etc was done with CD3 elements, while things like the background ground/field textures were done using the main CC program? That's the look I want, yes, this is great. But Nearly $90 Canadian is a lot to risk without asking a lot of questions (and hoping that it works well in Sun's VirtualBox).

Thanks much for your help.
    edited July 2009
    Posted By: DaveyJJBut Nearly $90 Canadian is a lot to risk without asking a lot of questions
    Profantasy has a 14-day satisfaction guarantee, so if you don't like the program, you will get your money back.
    CC3 is a great program though, but you must be willing to spend a little time learning it. It is CAD-based, so it works quite different from a painting program. If you are curious about seeing the program in action, have a look at these video tutorials. They can be worth watching even before you buy the software.
    Feel free to continue asking questions though, we'll be happy to answer them.
    Posted By: DaveyJJI assume placing trees like shown in map 1 on the CD3 page is simply an area brush that will randomize placement, size etc, as well as add shadows (or is that built into the PNG files that are the trees?
    Well, here is where CC3 departs from a painting program, like photoshop. You are not painting, so you don't really have a "brush". Instead, you will be placing symbols. Many symbols exists as random collections, which means that you get a random one each time you place it. The shadows are not part of the symbol, but rather an effect you can turn on and off. With CC3, you can apply different effects to different sheets. Shadows are one such effect.
    Note that the tree symbols are placed individually though. There are tools for creating forests, but when scattering trees like on thos examples, you place them one by one.
    Posted By: DaveyJJand hoping that it works well in Sun's VirtualBox
    Depends on the performance. I haven't used VitualBox, but I use it in VMWare all the time, but it is noticably slower than running it non-virtualized. Your exact experience will vary of course. You'll mostly notice it when you turn effects on though, and you won't normally work with effects on anyway, they are better left off until you are ready to print or export the map.
    Posted By: DaveyJJOn the CD3 gallery page, images 1 and 3, can I assume the trees/hedges etc was done with CD3 elements, while things like the background ground/field textures were done using the main CC program?
    I believe everything in those map are CD3 elements. There is nothing stopping you from using CC3 elements in CD3, but by default, each type of map (Overland, City, Dungeon, etc) comes with a complete set of elements.
  • Posted By: MonsenI believe everything in those map are CD3 elements. There is nothing stopping you from using CC3 elements in CD3, but by default, each type of map (Overland, City, Dungeon, etc) comes with a complete set of elements.
    Monsen, there is a note on the CD3 page that says these elements are simply PNG files that can be used without owning the CC program. It will simply install all of the elements in a directory which would then be openable by Photoshop, correct?
    edited July 2009
    All the symbols are .png files that you can use in other software, correct. This is a excellent way to get high-quality artwork for whatever software you wishes to use.

Using the symbols this way saves you from having to learn a new piece of software, but you will miss out on a lot too, like:
    - varicolor symbols (Most symbols, when used inside CC3, has a mask associated with it that lets you change part of the symbol color very easily, for example the roofs of most houses)
    - drawing tools. For example, CD3 also have a drawing tools for houses that lets you draw houses of custom shapes instead of relying only on the predrawn symbols. There are also drawing tools for roads, rivers, trees and much more.
    - CC3 treats symbols as objects, so you can easily move them later, or bring them to top if you want them above another symbol,and so no.
    - and much more ...