Editing castle maps

I purchased the Source Maps Castles program and later added CC3 to my machine.

How do I edit the castle maps? I don't see any option to do this in the castle program. If I open a castle map in CC3, I don't see any option there either.

If I print the castle maps out as PDFs and then try OCR, that doesn't work either.

All I want to do is change the title of the map--why is this so difficult?

Comments

• Firstable, checlk if any layer is frozen (L: upper right).

To edit a text, type TED and select the text to edit afterwards. It's one of the trick to CC3 : command first, objects (known as entities) after.

What do you mean printing maps out as PDF ?

Which castle do you wish to edit? I have the product and can perhaps give you more precise help if you tell me.
  • Bascially, I just want to re-name the castle map--nothing fancy.

So I should open it in CC3 and in the command box type TED and the text that appears on the screen?

Trying to edit Goodrich castle
  • If I type TED, the program gives me a box with a cross-cursor.

No idea what to do after that
  • Looks like the Labels layer is locked--but I don't know how to unlock it
  • edited July 2009
    Click on the layer box upper right (L: whatever layer).
    You will see a list of all used layers with three small boxes each.
    The first one (left-most) is to select the active layer.
    The second one is used to hide the layer (that cannot be the active one)
    The last is to freeze.
    Any frozen layer displays a F in the last box. Click on the F of the Labels layer to thaw it.
    That beeing done, click OK to close the layer dialog.

Now type TED Enter.
    You get a cross cursor with a small box. Try to click on the text you wish to edit. Generally in the middle of the bottom works. Alternatively, you can click on a corner and draw a selecting box around the label.
    Once selected, it should turn gray. Hit d (or right click Do It) and you should see a dialog displaying the text you now can edit.

Does it work ?
  • Correction. The Label layer is not frozen (at least not in my file goodrich1.fcw).
    Just jump to the second part.
  • YOU ARE THE MAN!

I never would have figured that out, and was about to give up in frustration.
  • Glad to have been of some help.

Looks like you'll have to get some time to learn the basics of CC3.
    There is the tutorial from the CC3 manual (pp 18+) and also a good video tutorial by Joseph Sweeney here:
    http://www.profantasy.com/community/user_tutorials.asp

I know it's more about map making rather than dungeon but you'll have to get CC3 in hand and it's not a small feat if you're used to the usual select first command after.

Of course, feel free to ask any question.
  • One of the great things about the source maps, including Source Maps:Castles, is all the maps were created in CC2/3. What this means is that if you want something slightly different on the map, you can go in and change it. It might take a little effort--many of the maps represent a lot of mapping time--but it can all be done. And you have a ready-made example to learn from.

Steve