Mapping floating landmass??

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to create a map that featured all the continents floating around in the "sky". My biggest problem is separating the visual effect between water that appears on an continent and the "sky" that surrounds the continent. Any ideas on how to accomplish this and what style pack would best be appropriate for the task (the fantasy worlds style pack seems the best choice for me)?

Thanks, Aaron

Comments

• edited July 2009
    You would need some kind of sky texture as the map background or maybe just a soft blue color with a blur effect. Then draw the islands shapes on top of that, adding some effects like drop shadow and glow to give the impression the shapes are in fact land masses. Water would go on a third sheet, on top of the land sheet.
  • Hello Aaron!

What you're trying to do can best be accomplished through the use of SHEET EFFECTS. Regardless of which style pack you choose, you'll need to create a SHEET EFFECT that produces the result you're looking for. The 'Drop Shadow' effect will produce a shadow under your continents to give the appearance of floating. You'll need to experiment with the settings to get the right distance under your landmasses.

If you want every Landmass to be floating at the same elevation then I would suggest using any of the map templates that start with an Ocean Background color and then adding the 'Drop Shadow' effect to the Landmass SHEET. I would also apply a 'Blur' to the Background SHEET to make it look less like water.

If you want the Landmasses to be floating at different elevations then it's a little more complicated but still rather easy to accomplish. Add SHEETS called anything like "Landmass Low", "... Mid", "... High" or "...1", "...2", "...3" whatever makes sense to you and then use the "Move Up" button to position them directly under the BACKGROUND SHEET in the SHEET order list.

I.e.
    BACKGROUND
    LANDMASS 1
    LANDMASS 2
    LANDMASS 3

You can add as many as you wish, however it's VERY important to remember a few things. First is that CC3 draws things in your map in SHEET order from the TOP of the LIST to the BOTTOM. In our example above, everything on the BACKGROUND SHEET is drawn first. Everything on the LANDMASS 1 SHEET is drawn next. Then comes "...2" and "...3". IF I were to put a Square on my Background, a Circle on Landmass 1, a Triangle on Landmass 2, and some text on Landmass 3 the result would be Text on top of a Triangle on top of a Circle on top of a Square.

The second thing to remember is that SHEETS with nothing on them are deleted when you Save your map. If you erase a landmass from LANDMASS 2 (and there's nothing else on that SHEET) then the next time you Save your map, the LANDMASS 2 SHEET will be erased from your list resulting in a SHEET ORDER that looks like;

BACKGROUND
    LANDMASS 1
    LANDMASS 3

This has happened to me on many occasions after I spending quite a bit of time getting my SHEET EFFECTS just right and then deleting the objects on the sheet right before a save.

Here's a quick test I did to make floating landmasses.

To get this effect I used the following SHEET EFFECTS

GLOW

BEVEL

DROP SHADOW

I used 5 different LANDMASS SHEETS and varied the x,y DROP SHADOW effect 10,20,30,40 and 50 for each sheet.
  • Posted By: GandwarfYou would need some kind of sky texture as the map background or maybe just a soft blue color with a blur effect.
    To get the background effect in my example I changed the background from the default Water to Ice.bmp and then applied a blur of 20. Sorry I forgot that part until I saw Gandwarf's post after posting my write up.
  • edited July 2009
    Well, I was trying to say basically what KeithC did :-)
    Excellent pointers Keith! Might I suggest you posting this in the tutorials section of a certain other forum?
  • Someone around here had some CC2 symbols of flotting islands. Kinda like the ones in the anime .hack//sign. Or one of the album covers for a 1970s rock band called Yes.

The view was above the land level and off to one side. Showed roots, etc. I had a very difficult time creating believable shadows below the islands.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: JimPSomeone around here had some CC2 symbols of flotting islands.
    That would be Ralf. They are available here