How to make all drawing tools compatible across add-ons?

I had a topic yesterday with problems using drawing tool fill styles between CD3 and DD3. I've now spent quite sometime practicing and testing what is going on inside the program, digging around in various files (all through the CC3 folder) to see how things are setup, and my conclusions are that the various drawing tool fill styles are not compatible across CC3 CD3 and DD3.

For example, the lava cooled and lava molten fill styles only exist if I make a 'dungeon' map, this also includes all the CD3 Floorplan and CD3 Floorplan DD3 fill styles (it seems since they are CD3 they would work with a normal city map but they do not). Say I decide to make an underground city map (i'm going to be making many of them if I can get this to work), and want to use the 'lava molten' fill style from the DD3 Color fill styles...I can't, it only shows up as filled with 'current color,' the bitmap is not there unless I am making a dungeon map. Even if I go into Advanced under drawing tools and try to change the Fill Style to 'cave, lava molten' it does not exist. The only Fill Styles that are in that list are from CD3 Bitmap A and B, I cannot even browse to find the exact bitmap style I want to use...this occurs with most of the drawing tool fill styles across most of the 3 primary add-ons.

So my big question of the day (after researching this for many hours) is how is it possible to share fill styles across add-ons so that I don't have to recreate every really nice fill style I want when I make new maps? The symbol collections share across add-ons just fine (with a bit of resizing) but the fill styles do not and that is really too bad, since there are great fill styles in each add-on that would be really nice to share between them and would save a huge amount of time so I don't have to create all the great ones for each add-on. Like for example creating various lava styles in both CC3 and CD3 would take some time. Though I guess I could create my own symbol catalog and (hopefully) be able to share it between all add-ons...

Thanks for all your help and suggestions :)

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2009
    There are many reasons why each map style has it's own drawing tools (The tools are specific to a map style, and not just an addon). One of the major reasons here is scale. Because the drawing unit in a map is always "map units", no matter the type of map, the scale is not compatible between different types of maps. For instance, in a dungeon map, a 1' wide wall is one map unit wide, while on an overland map, one map unit equals one mile. This means that a drawing tool made for a dungeon environment that is intended to draw a 1' wide wall will draw a 1 mile wide wall on an overland map. Note that fill styles are also often scaled, which usually causes it to look bad if used directly in the wrong kind of map.
    The second is the amount of references in the map. Each included fill style means there would need to be a definition in the map for it. The more definitions, the more resources (memory, cpu, disk), the map requires, so it is not efficient to include every possible fill style in the map. (And it needs to be in the map, otherwise you couldn't distribute a map with custom fill styles).
    The last reason is because of the sheets in the drawing. An overland map requires a very different sheet setup from a dungeon map. While the drawing tools add any missing sheets, they don't know where to put them in the drawing order, so they are all added to the end of the list. This usually ends in the result from "foreign" drawing tools to look strange, at least until you can reorder the sheet in an appropriate order.

What you need to do is to import the fill styles you wish to use.
    This can be done in several different ways:
    1. Insert a map containing the fill styles you want, then immediately undo. This will remove the inserted map, but leave the fill styles behind. This is usually the easiest option to get the appropriate fill styles, but be aware that the fill scale might be wrong. This option should also let you use the drawing tools belonging to the map style you inserted, since the fill they are using now exists.
    2. Define new fill styles manually in the fill style box.
    3. Use the "Tools -> Import bitmap fill styles" to import all bitmap files in a folder as fill styles into he current drawing.
  • Thanks for the explanation Monsen, I figured out the part about scale, especially concerning things like roads or walls and such. Really there is only a few fill styles I want to use in CD3 maps from DD3, not all of them and vice versa, otherwise there are really too many and it will get confusing :). I am making a list of the ones I really want for an underground city and will use your recommendations to import them into the map that I want. Thanks for your quick reply, this forum is great.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Note that if you are making a series of maps that always needs the same extra fillstyles, you can create a new template that incorporates these, so that you don't need to import them each time. Just create a new map of the desired type, add the desired fill styles, then save it as a template (.fct file).
  • That will certainly save time, thanks. I will be doing a number of fairly similar style, size maps and saving any time and energy with them certianly helps :)