First time Map

Hi all, just got this software and it's probably pretty clear that I don't really know what I'm doing :)

Here's a little village I made, it's just a section but includes all the buildings. The grey lines are suppose to be New England style stone walls. I'd really like some criticism and input if anyone cares to.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I had a couple of questions as well if I could:

1. What's the best way of going about making cemeteries? I've seen them on some maps and was wondering if there was a tool I'm missing?

2. What about forests? For this map I've just placed a bunch of DD3 trees around.

3. Last one :) I was trying to use a texture from DD3 for the stone walls, but found that whenever I used the "All city drawing tools" and selected DD3 as the style, most of the textures were blank or using the previous style. Is there not a way to use these styles as well?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Well, for a first map, it's quite lovely!

1. Don't know.

2. You could do some forests with green polygons, smooth or fractal, with a glow and dropshadow effect but I like your bunch of trees. They are scattered real good.

3. That's because most of the fill styles are not defined in every template, particularly bitmap fills. If you start your map as a CD3 template, you will notice that you'll get a lot of CC3xxxx bitmap fill styles loaded (to see it, click the FS line upper right and select Bitmap). If you want to use a fill style designed for DD3, you will have to recreate it for your CD3 map.
    Here's how to do it (if anyone finds something easier, I'll take it :)!)

1. Start a second instance of CC3 with a DD3 template suitable.
    2. On this 2nd CC3, look at the Fill Styles Bitmap as above and locate the bitmap files you want to use
    3. On the 1st CC3, go also to the Bitmap Fill Styles, click New, give a suitable name (the same as in DD3) and seek the relevant png file using the Find button.
    4. Adjust the scaling to the city scale.

Depending of the number of DD3/CD3 fill styles you need, you could also import your map on a DD3 template and recreate the CD3 fill styles there...

Happy maping!
  • Hey Spaceghost.
    Nice little village. I think you haven't turned on effects though.

Did you read my City Designer 3 tutorials? They are a good way to get you started I think. They explain the basics.
    http://www.profantasy.com/community/user_tutorials.asp

As for making cemeteries:

The last one I made just contained hedges and trees and several symbols, like statues and stuff. See my Ziadon map:

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=512&page=2#Item_32

(there's a closeup of the cemetery)

If you have any questions lets hear them :-)
  • Yeah I turned on effects and it looks much better. LOL pretty basic stuff, I know. Thanks for the tutorials, I'm going through them now. I typically hate tutorials and like to figure things out myself, but this software is too powerful to just blunder my way through.

I figured that's how you make cemeteries, that one you posted looks great and I see how to do it now.

@Joachim de Ravenbel
    Thanks for the tip regarding the textures. I think I got it working as you described. Isn't this a little cumbersome though? I would think it would be made easy to use the different textures from one program to another?

Anyways, thanks again for the comments, I hope to add a few more maps sometime soon.
  • edited July 2009
    Posted By: SpaceghostIsn't this a little cumbersome though?
    Monsen gives a very good explanation and method here :

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1094&page=1#Item_2
  • Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    Its a nice little village.
    Not bad at all for a first map.

As for a cementery. They problably wouldn't be to fancy in a town like this.
    What I did was draw a rectangle of brown and then experiment with the glow and fade effects.
    They did look quite nice. But to be honest the village was seen from further away (more zoomed out).