Having hellacious problems getting CC/DD working on Vista 64bit

Guys - I upgraded my machine semi-recently and now I'm running Vista Home Premium on a 64bit machine - everything patched, updated, etc.

I went through the installation procedure for CC3/DD3, CC2 Pro, DD2 Pro, Symbols 1 thru 3 etc, following the guidelines on this site, but installing to the Program Files location ... which I read in these forums was a potential issue. Everytime I tried to OPEN a file (CC would OPEN just fine) the whole system would crash with a FCW32.exe has stopped working error.

Patching CC to the latest patch (7) and any compatibility update has made no difference.
Running in compatibility mode or not, makes no difference.
Running or installing as administrator makes no difference.
Install location makes no difference.
Followed all of profantasy's Vista general install guide pointers
installing and running with UAC off

So now I just reinstalled to C:\ProFantasy - installing as Administrator, only installing CC3, installed the patch immediately afterward; very simple, nothing crazy or complex going on here. CC3 opens just fine, butthe minute I do a File > Open and select an FCW, I get the same instant FCW32.exe has stopped working.

I was under the impression that the 7.0 patch (and earlier) fixed a lot of the Vista issues, but I seem to be hitting a wall right from the get-go.

I know there have been lots of discussions on this, but I did a search, read the threads, and nothing is helping me.

a) Any alternative ideas on getting this up and running on Vista 64?
b) Am I chasing a dream?
c) Should I simply install a second OS on my system (XP, likely) ... I don't really want to go this route
d) Should I buy Windows 7 (also something I'm hoping to avoid)
e) Is CC simply not 64 bit compatible?

As a complete aside, the V7 patch sometimes decides that it can't find the CC3 installation - ev en if it's run out of the same folder. it doesn't ask for the location, it just announces that it can't find it and closes. In fact,, with my current install to C:\ProFantasy\CC3 the patch .exe will not find CC3 at all. I can open CC3 (not open a file of course), but the patch will not find it. Why would ProFantasy's Vista install guide advise on picking a non-standard location, and then have the patcher not be able to findd it???? Oh joy oh joy oh joy.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    You are not chasing a dream. I am running CC3 and CD3 under Windows Vista on a 64bit machine and I am not experiencing any problems (beyond some of the crashing issues I also had on an older computer running XP, so this is not Vista related). The only thing I haven't installed at the moment is DD3, because it still depends on the .NET framework and I didn't want to download all that stuff at the time I was installing. Still, DD3 shouldn't be your problem.
    I did notice you are installing some older versions of the software as well.

Unfortunately I cannot help you... I installed the software, patches, etc in the normal order and everything worked fine from the start. Your best bet is probably to contact Profantasy customer support. They are regarded highly by a lot of people.
  • bearclawbearclaw Traveler
    I'm running Vista 64 bit and it's running fine. There is a Vista Patch for CC3. That might solve the problem?
  • edited July 2009
    Posted By: bearclawI'm running Vista 64 bit and it's running fine. There is a Vista Patch for CC3. That might solve the problem?
    There is? Let me hunt around for that - I was under the impression that patch 7 patched Vista issues as well, and didn't know that there was a special Vista patch going on.

edit - having problems finding the Vista patched

found this guideline - followed it word for word - didn't help:
    http://www.profantasy.com/service/technical.asp?Q=&ID=67
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Email tech@profantasy.com
  • bearclawbearclaw Traveler
    Oddly enough, shortly after reading this post, my CC3 started doing the exact same thing... it WAS working fine. :)
  • Posted By: bearclawOddly enough, shortly after reading this post, my CC3 started doing the exact same thing... it WAS working fine. :)
    eep, I'm spreading!

Well, maybe not *ME*, but ... well .. you get the idea.

Simon, I have written to tech support and - assuming a level of success in resolving this issue- I will post their feedback and recommendations within this thread for future generations.

Thinking about going dual-boot in the interim.
  • edited July 2009
    Advice from Linda -
    1) Uninstall CC3 using Windows Add & remove Programs
    2) Install CC3 into C:\CC3 – do not install into the default folder – right click on setup.exe & choose run AS & run it as the Administrator not just an account that has Admin rights
    3) Start CC3, save the file that comes up, then exit
    4) Apply the patch - right click on setup.exe & choose run AS & run it as the Administrator
    5) Now install DD3 – if you get a message about .NET Framework please see this information for the download links. Again, right click on setup.exe & choose run AS & run it as the Administrator
    6) Install SS1v3 from your order - right click on setup.exe & choose run AS & run it as the Administrator
    7) Install SS2, SS3, City Designer, CA, Dioramas, Perspectives & Cosmographer compatibility updates – again do the Administrator thing for every item
    8) Install the Annuals – do the Administrator thing!
    9) Install the WWII Atlas into its own, separate folder - right click on setup.exe & choose run AS & run it as the Administrator
    10) Apply the patch again - right click on setup.exe & choose run AS & run it as the Administrator.

My results -

Thank you for this.

I believe that my challenge was at least in part to the Version 7 patch not finding the CC install location. I had to add a registry key to define the AppPath (in my instance: C:\Profantasy\CC3), but then the patch installed to C:\ProFantasy\CC3\CC3 – notice the embedded folder. The patch, therefore, installed to an incorrect location – effectively not patching at all.

When I noticed this I copied and overwrote all of the files into the correct folder (effectively up one level) and things have been more stable.

- I have not installed DD3 yet, because my disc is not reading at all; I might have to buy another from ProFantasy.
    - Haven’t installed the symbols yet, but when I do I’ll follow your guidelines.

I still get the odd FCW32.exe has stopped responding at random times, more often when I close down the application; I’m just being sure to save often so I do not have to redo anything.
  • You might want to 'save as' filename0001, do some changes, then 'save as' filename0002, etc. Do that as often as you think necessary.
  • Great idea - I don't do enough versioning and I really need to get into the habit; thanks Jim for the suggestion.
  • You're welcome.

Another reason I do it is I have gotten up to filename100, and found I was going off into a style I didn't like. So I went back thru the saved files and found one I liked, and branched off from there.
  • You might look for a basic version control system (I have one that is cheap and just makes a copy & notes when I save). I'm not always good about organizing or naming my versions, so this saves me a lot of trouble.
  • 1 year later
  • Please see this thread:-

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1815&page=1#Comment_11857

ATM I'm desperately in need to advice to get this problem alleviated.