Trace command on contours

I'm fairly new to overland maps using this software, I originally bought it and then DD3 to build dungeons for an online campaign. So I'm starting a new world map at 2000x2000 and have a land mass and I would like to contour the coastline from the Sea, Light to Sea, Darkest (with all of the colors in between as well) and maybe even darker if I can. My problem is that I see there is a Trace command and would like to know if there is a time saving way to contour the coastline.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2010
    I have never used the Trace command. Others around here use it lots.

For contours I use a bitmap fill for each range of altitudes and ocean depths.

Here is the method I came up with: Surface map color chart, and template

Note that to see all of the bitmap fills you see there, follow the link below the color chart for the bitmap fills and install them in your folder below 'path to\cc3\bitmaps\Tiles\custom' there should be 3 folders under there, for the sizes. Note that some folders have blanks in the folder filenames.
  • There is also the possibility of using several glow effects on the coast sheet.
  • Try looking up the Offset commands in the help menu. I don't have time at the moment to type up the directions but I think this will do what you want.
  • Posted By: ShessarTry looking up the Offset
    Not on a fractal coastline or you'll get a very hairy coast (found out the hard way).
    However you can draw a smooth line around the coast and then use offset to get the other.

Don't forget to add a blur effect to the sheet to dull the transition.
  • Awesome, thanks you two! I'll give it a try and let you know the results, probably post the pic so you can see how either turned out.
  • You're welcome. Have to try that myself...
  • Whoops, I guess I should say thank you 3 :)
  • Okay, so far I have tried multiple Glow effects, which the largest covers all smaller if on the same sheet. Offset has a hard time in tight spots like small coves, creating holes that don't make sense, unless I'm using it wrong.

JimP, could you tell me how to get that template into my existing drawing? I see that the layers are set up and I'd like to try it, but don't know how to get it into my drawing.
  • edited July 2009
    As I said above, before using offset you must draw the first contour with a smooth poly avoiding tight spots.

For the glow effects, the order is significative. The largest should be upper in the list.
  • Posted By: Joachim de RavenbelAs I said above, before using offset you must draw the first contour with a smooth poly avoiding tight spots.

For the glow effects, the order is significative. The largest should be upper in the list.
    Yes, I read what you said above, but in this map, making one big smooth contour to begin with eliminates a lot of the water by being one depth so I can't do that.

As far as Glow effects, I've tried 100 miles being darkest, and making another Glow aver 20 miles coming in. I've tried both directions with the larger first and then again trying it with smaller first and only the shortest works at any one time.

Small first:

Large first:

The only difference is the darkness, it doesn't even go out 100'
  • Before giving the above answer, I made a test with 3 glows
    1st intensity 1 blur 300 dark blue
    2nd intenstity 1 blur 200 middle blue
    3rd intensity 1 blur 100 very light blue (79 I believe).
    Give a try.
  • edited July 2009
    I don't know why, but it worked that time. I did it just the same, except changed the miles to 300, 200, 100 instead of the 100, 80, 60, 40, 20 that I had before. I wonder if it has something to do with that?

• edited July 2009
    Sheet effects are wonderfull tools but sometimes you can spend a lot of time finding the right parameters.

For instance with glow, you will see it at full range only if the intensity (or strength I don't remember the right term) is set to max (9 I think).

So a 100 miles effect with a 1 on 9 will yield (I extrapolate, I don't know the exact mechanic) only a 11 miles visible effect. Play a bit with it, perhaps you'll find something better yet. I however rarely push the intensity above 2 as it gets quite abrupt afterwards.

I would recommend another glow, inside this time, some dark green. But hey, it's your map:)
    Nice coast by the way.
    edited July 2009

JimP, could you tell me how to get that template into my existing drawing? I see that the layers are set up and I'd like to try it, but don't know how to get it into my drawing.
    No problem. Start CC3. Load the new template. Check and make sure the bitmap fills work. The template page has a link to the zip file of the bitmaps.

Zoom out. Insert the map you want to use the new template with.

You now have a map in the template of the basic template layout. Next to it you have the map you want to convert.

Move each layer from the map you inserted to the new template location.

When all is done, type 'origin' (without the single quotes) and select the lower left corner of the new template/map.

I suggest doing a 'save as' often. Save as Map001, save as map002, save as map003, etc. Myself, I would do that before each layer move. And more times as I feel necessary.
    edited July 2009
    Posted By: freefallinJim,

I imported the bitmaps successfully, it said 31 bitmaps successfully loaded; but I can't find them. I would also like to use the terrains you mentioned, but don't know how to do that either, could you help?
    They are in the fill style section of that template. Far right of CC3 where you see FS: