Red X's on Downloaded map.

Hello,

I have a slew of profantasy products, and recently updated the ones that could be updated. I went to the Map and Catalogue library section in the Downloads link on the main page, and download a map by, Jens Messmer entitled Elfengaleasse.

It's the one that shows a ship deck. When i try to view it, all of the symbols are red X's.

On a possibly related note... When i have CC3 running and I click on the "rivers", it says "No matching draw tool. There is no draw tool matching your selection in the current draw tool style."

In fact, it says that whenever I hit any of the CC3 buttons (road, rivers,default contour line etc).

I just noticed this now because I normally use the dungeon designer. I could have sword I didn't have this problem half a year ago, when I went through the CC3 tutorial.

Any help with the above issues would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• seycyrusseycyrus Traveler
    Edit: I figured out how to fix my problem with the draw tools...

But still have the problem with the red X's
  • edited April 2008
    Hi seycyrus,

I had a problem with the CC3 Viewer and that map, but all I could see was the text and a couple of black shapes. I sent them an email about it but didn't follow up on it because I was using Windows Vista.

System Requirements for CC3 View

* Windows 98/ME/2000/NT or XP
    * 70MB hard disk space
  • I had a look at the file, and it shows up okay for me. I think this map uses some SS2 fills - do you have SS2?
  • edited April 2008
    If you are talking to me, I only have the DD3 download. I'll download the SS2 and let you know how it goes.

UPDATE:
    I just installed SS2 and a lot more is visible now. I probably need to install SS1 as well to see the full map.
  • I've seen the 'red-X' syndrome when using a bitmap fill and the path to the bitmap was invalid (I had actually moved a custom bitmap to another location). While I do not have the map you do, it's possible that it is referencing a bitmap fill you do not have in place. You can check this by checking your fill patterns (bitmaps); I forget the exact menu/icon placement, but check the fill styles>bitmap and cycle through them. it will preview each one for you and when you get to the illegal one it will be filled with red-x's also. The path will be displayed there which will show you what it is trying to load.
    Thanks Kolyana, I'm still looking for the placement you suggested.

I think the consensus is that I need to buy the symbol sets that the authors used?

But I'm a bit confused. If I just had the viewer, can't I view basically *every* map? Seems strange that I can't do the same if I have the full blown version of CC3.
  • edited April 2008
    >But I'm a bit confused. If I just had the viewer, can't I view basically *every* map? Seems strange that I can't do the same if I have the full blown version of CC3.

Some maps will use art from the addons (which aren't free) or the magazine that you may not have bought. The reason they don't work in CC3 is they don't want you making maps with content you haven't paid for. However you can use the Viewer to look at any map as long as the map only uses art from CC3 or the encrypted addons that were created for use with the viewer here:

http://www.profantasy.com/library/dpv.asp

As for me I've downloaded all of the free encrypted ones (DD3, SS1, & SS2) and parts of the ship map are still missing. Walls, red bits and a few items in the rooms. So I guess thats just art I don't have access to at this point.
    Hey,

I purchased SS2 and I can view all of the ship, except what I believe is a scale bar.

Thanks for the help!