Printing without Background

Just purchased CC3 a few days ago. It looks really useful, but I'm running into problems printing out maps. I've attached a test room to illustrate the issue I'm having. All I want to do is print the single painted room in battle mat form (1" = 5' grids in the print to scale options) which should only take 1-2 sheets of of A4 paper. However, CC3 wants to print the backgrounds too, which uses up a lot of ink and paper (6 sheets in this case, with the zoom level that lets you see the entire room in one window).

Could someone walk me through how to get CC3 to print the room and only the room?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2009
    1) If you wish to print without the background alltogether, just hide the appropriate sheet and/or layer before printing. CC3 only prints visible sheets/layers.
    2) Zoom in to the area you wish to print
    3) In the print dialog, Set "View to Print" to "Active window"
    3) Set Sheet to "All visible sheets as one page (CC3 Default)"
    4) For Scaling, set "Paper distance" to 1" and Drawing distance to 5' (Remember to include the feet and inches unit symbols (" and ')
    5) Set the tiling options to 1 x 2 pages. This should fit on one page.
    6) Set the aspect to "Landscape
    7) Print

Note that your grid is 10' square, so if you are going to use it for a 5' battlemap, there will be 4 squares inside each of your grid squares. If you meant for each of these to actually be 5' squares instead, you can switch the print options to 1x1 tiling, and set the scale factor to 1" paper = 10' drawing, and print on a single portrait sheet.

A good hint when printing, to see the result without having to waste ink/paper is to print it to a pdf file. There are several free pdf printers out there, like PDFCreator.