First Real Map - land of the Prydyn

I have had the cartographer for a while, but haven't had the time to devote. i've decided to make the time, but before I did, I wanted to get the communities thoughts to see if my basic mapping looks ok, and to take any suggestions. I am basically using the Annual World.

The Land of the Prydyn is a semi arctic area, meant as a rugged and dangeorus place. its sparcely populated, and the real world analog for them is a cross between the mountain men, and the celts. Please let me know what you think, and what I can do to improve it before I begin on the rest of the world.

thx,
Marc

Comments

• I don't own any of the Annuals yet so I'm not sure if the sheet effects have been modified by you or if they are part of the template. That being said, here's my take on your map.

I like it. I really like the color combinations and the use of blurs to soften blends across the map. Your land design and land feature placement is great and gives an overall believable design to the project.

To make any further comments however I need to know the scale of the land mass I'm looking at. It looks like an island rather than a continent but without a scale bar to reference I'm not sure.
  • edited June 2009
    Thx for the input!!! i'm attaching the whole world (really its a hemisphere) and its the 3000 X 2400 map scale. ignore the rest of the stuff, its all just testing things.

thx,
    Marc
  • edited June 2009
    Nice map so far. I am interested to see the finished result!

Your rivers and lakes are almost white. Did you do that on purpose, because it's a very cold environment?
    The fill style for the forest works really well zoomed out, but I am not a big fan of it when zoomed in. I think it's because it cuts off trees. Is it an annual style?

Anyway, really nice job so far.
  • Gandwarf. Thx. yea, the annual uses the tree fill styles, and makes the water white like that. Its all part of the Annual fantasy Worlds, although i've played around a bit with the special effects.

I appreciate the input. maybe I'll keep a running development series of pictures if the community would like to help create the world.

Marc
  • edited June 2009
    Attached is my second installment of the old world. The Malwa Empire: An empire that is a cross between ancient south america with elements of the hindu caste system. They once ruled the known world, but have been in a long decline, and reduced to living in the great jungles where they began.

Its not even close to finished, its just a first draft. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

I'm planning on changing the water (rivers and lakes) to a slightly darker shade to give it a little more blue but not too much in order to keep it within the spirit of the map style
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Excellent work, Davros, I really love this map. Making the rivers a little darker might work, and I'm not 100% sure about the dotted lines you have in the ocean. They feel a bit out of place.