Doing a small section of a big map separately

I am working on a huge city (Basically it is 10 Miles x 10 Miles). The city is made up of a bunch of small islands so I decided it would be a good idea to do each island (or groups of islands) separately then paste them back into the main city map this way I would have each section of the city as a separate file for easy printing if I want plus the city as a whole. So I decided to some testing which led to more testing and eventually testing of inserting a larger map into a small map.

I have run into a small problem with this. I inserted .fcw file with the larger map into a smaller map. I traced the part of the landmass that was with in the map borders and tried to get rid of everything outside of the borders. When I hit "zoom to extents" it doesn't give me just the small area of the map but a big white space where the overflow of the big map was.

I traced the problem to the "template Layer" and if I hide it it zooms to just the actual map and gets rid of the white space. But I don't know if hiding the template layer will do when I go to work on the map and I have no idea how to delete objects (which you can't see) from the template layer from the big map so I don't have to hide the template layer (Unless hiding the template layer will do me no harm what so ever)

Comments

• edited June 2009
    The template layer has usually some points (dots) used to keep propreties for the sheets they are on (if you look at the pic above you'll see them at the lower left corner, they are on atop the other).

I don't think hiding the template layer will cause any trouble but you'd better look at what stands on that layer. Hide all other layers and use the LIST ALL command.

I've just done that on a new map and noticed the template layer is default hidden and frozen, and that the only entities on the layer are indeed 2D points.

I even think that if the map you are inserting in has it's own template points you can safely erase those from insertion.
    It depends on the method you used to create the smaller map. Used a (same) template ?
  • Is your export set to crop the picture file ?
  • JoeyD473JoeyD473 Betatester 🖼️ 2 images Traveler
    I believe so, but I have to double check