Character Artist Pro

Howdy,

Several years ago I had a copy of CC and CA and I have since lost them when I fell away from RPG’s. Recently a few of my friends got me to run a few more game and I was hoping to get away from reusing the same metal minis. Getting images for important NPCS would be cool to. So I am debating picking up the new versions.

My question is though, have any improvements been made to the character artist since its initial version or is it just updated for the new versions of CC? Do any symbol packs expand on CA?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    No, there hasn't been any update to CA since CA Pro was released. There is a compatibility update of course, which lets it work with CC3, but this only lets it work with CC3, it doesn't change/update any of the functionality.

Of course, CC3 supports a lot of features that CC2 didn't, like raster symbols and sheet effects. All of these enhancements will of course also be usable when making CA drawings (assuming you use CC3 of course).
  • That's a shame. Is it not very popular?
  • Ralf made a post here that something is in the works for it.

I have owned a copy for sometime now and started using it last year.
  • Thanks for your help. I went ahead and picked it up. It’s not bad, but I wish it had more face options, especially eyes and face structure. I would love to see more added to it in the future.

I do have one problem though; the ‘send to the back’ commands don’t seem to have any effect. I’ve looked at the PDF and help files and I believe I am doing it right but it keeps redrawing the sleeves over the chest piece. Any ideas as to what newbie mistake I am making?
  • I don't own CA but if it uses CC maybe Sleeves and Chest are not on the same sheet ?
  • edited June 2009
    Just to derail a bit ...

Character Artist is a wonderful concept, but currently it limited and produces characters that are “flat” and lifeless. (Sorry guys!)

If ProFantasy wanted to go all out, I would point then in the direction of Oblivion's character generator. Behind the scenes it's a 3D paper doll approach with on-demand texture map swapping (skin color, type, etc), morph targets on the face for individual personalization, and a expandable set of various species, gender, clothing and weapon types. There are freely licensed game-engines that will load the models (Pro fantasy will need to commission these of course) with customizable interfaces to add in the controls.

The interactive online D&D 4e system (Virtual Game Table-now apparently vaporware) allowed players to do everyone above and save a screen shot of the complete model.

Here is a demo: Watch between the time of 2:30 and 4:20.

-Avotas
  • Well I have everything on the same sheet I believe. I tried a second time and placed everything in the correct order but some items appear to be set above everything else. Another example of my problem is that a weapon will appear over a sash regardless of which was placed first. Nothing I seem to do will correct this. Is it possible I have locked the stacking commands somehow?
  • I believe weapons are supposed to over sashes. Since you want it under, check which sheets they are on.
  • Ah, I was confused about changing sheets but I have it now, thanks!
  • Posted By: Avotas
    If ProFantasy wanted to go all out, I would point then in the direction of Oblivion's character generator.

-Avotas
    I think the problem with that idea, is the 3D assets would cost a lot more than Profantasy would make back on it.