Symbol catalogue issue

I'm having a first time problem with one of the symbol catalogues, in this instance the Filled-Handdrawn catalogue. The mountain subset used to be set up as a collection, where the symbols randomly change each time you place one on the map. In this way you don't have to manually pick a different mountain each time. Recently, when changing from map to map, this collection just disbanded and now I'm left with 14 or 15 individual mountain symbols rather than the nice collection.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to how this can be corrected?

Thanks, Robert

Comments

• Look at the firstone in the set.

There is a '-' in the upper left corner of that first symbol in the list. To get back to the random list, click that '-' once so it changes to a '+'.
  • JimP,

I see what you're saying. Unfortunately, there are no plus or minus signs to be found. But I don't know how that happened. These same symbols were acting as a collection on the previous map on which I had been working. Argh!
  • Did you try loading a different symbol set, then go back to the symbol set you are having problems with ?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Also make sure you haven't 'Expand all Collections' enabled in the symbol catalog options.
  • Tried loading a new symbol set and then going back. No go.

I saw the Expand All Collections under options, and it is not enabled.

Is there a way to Minimize or "UnExpand" a collection?
  • I just tried the 'expand all collections' and it shows a small square in the upper left corner.

Oh, I just thought of this.

Just below the Options button for the symbol catalogs o nthe left saide of the drawing area are 2 buttons.

Is the left button up indented or up ?

If indented, click once.

If it isn't indented, type 'new' and press the enter key. Load a different map.

Indented you are seeing the symbols in the map, not the symbol catalog.

Otherwise I don't know.
  • 7 days later
  • I have a question about drop shadow: When I made drop shadow on symbols, few imported symbols of mine gained a strange aura aroud (see attachment). No standard DD3 or CC3 symbol gained it, only a few of imported symbols (but not all). Do you guess why there is the strange aura and how could I remove it? Tanks for any advice.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Most probably the image is not completely transparent in the area where this occur, causing the background to be slightly distorted by the image, or it contains image data in the transparent section.
    Looking at the drop shadow of the the barrel, it appears outside of this area, and not direcly from the barrel as it is supposed to.
    When CC3 adds a drop shadow, it does so to the edge of the image, but if the image contain content outside the visible part of the image, CC3 will see this as the edge of the image, and not what you actually see.

So, edit the image, and make sure that everything outside the part of the image that is supposed to be visible is 100% transparent, and that it doesn't contain any extra image data in this area.