Discolored, Destroyed, and Desaturated Maps [Released]

Hey,

I am working on a process to take the naturally brilliant saturated colors provided by the CC3 maps, then converting them into something that looks a little more like raster based artwork.

What do you think?

In regards to the first map: Please keep in mind this is only a sample of a zoomed in region of the map, the full scale version has faded and torn edges that make it look like it was printed on paper.

In regards to the second map: Players found this inside a worn book, so the design reflects that. The second map uses the "Mordhill" map by Derek Wallace.

*Edit: See last post for directions and the download links

Thanks,

Avotas

Comments

• Nice. I think you need to reduce the contrast more. The trees still look too sturated to me relative to the rest of the map.
  • edited June 2009
    Thanks for the feedback ^^ I think if I want to get that detailed I will need to export the map in layers, (tree's, ground, water) so I have control over the various levels of the image. I'm just not sure I'm sold on this visual style yet.
  • Consider me sold! Really like the faded colors and the crumpled paper look. Lots of times you can see when a map has been done in CC3, but this map has a rather unique style.
  • Incredible. Looks like it just got dug out of a old and forgotten chest or library.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Are you doing this with CC3 effects or in an external program?
  • edited June 2009
    It's done in Photoshop, the project started off with a custom action (it's like a plug-in) that I created that altered the image and applied the special effects. However the more I started thinking about it, and the more I played with it, I ended up creating a template using layers.

This is a brief sample of how it works, if there is enough appeal I will consider releasing the templates to the community, they are easy to use and produce almost instant effects.

Photoshop Layers:

Layer Adjustment (Brightness / Contrast)
    Layer Adjustment (Hue / Saturation)
    Crumbled Paper FX
    Border (second picture)
    City Names (can be easily done in CC3, but I like being able to move them in Photoshop)
    Dark Spots
    Hole (second picture)
    Handwriting (second picture)
    Compass rosé (second picture)
    Selective Desaturation Map (fine control over what gets Desaturated)
    Base Map (Standard CC3 image)

So all you really need to do to reproduce this style is to download the template and replace the Base Map with your CC3/DD3/Etc image. The layers above do all the art work ^^

If you want to see the template released leave some feedback below, tell your friends, bribe your family.

*Note: I believe it's actually possible to do all of this inside CC3, but it would be harder to complete. I figure that most people have Photoshop or Paint.net on this forum. If there is enough interest I could be talked into making a special sheet effect that will produce like results.

-Avotas
  • LatharionLatharion Traveler
    This is a very nice sheet effect photoshop template you have designed! I am interested in playing around with it if you decide to release it.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Very nice! I especially like the muted colors of the first version.
  • 8 days later
  • I am still working with the CC3 sheet style. It's not playing nice ^^
  • 20 days later
  • Please release this.

I very much enjoy the maps that I can create with CC3, but I can never get the colors to look ... well, just like that! So I end up using a sepia or a greyscale or something along those lines. I want this. I might even pay (a little) for something like this.
  • That looks great, the map as well as the photoshop effects.
    (I don't own Photoshop, btw, to be honest I only boot up Windows to use CC3 these days, so I mainly use The Gimp on Linux ^^)
  • 8 days later
  • edited August 2009
    I can to finish this up Aug 10. I will post a link here.

-Avotas
  • 14 days later
  • This is a bit of a bump. I'd still really like to see this completed.
  • Yes sorry I had someone in the family get sick, travel was required.
  • edited August 2009
    Ok, I have everything nearly worked out, the process refined, and it's almost ready for release.

As pictured the "Mordhill" map by Derek Wallace, with the modified style applied.
  • edited August 2009

The majority of this effect is controlled through the use of a PNG file, and a little digital trickery to get everything correctly aligned and presentable. I have simplified the process as much as possible, but in doing so sacrificed some of the finer controls. For those more advanced users I have included the original PSD (Photoshop) for full customization of the files.

Step One:

Open your favorite map in CC3/DD3

Goto Draw -> Insert File

Step Two:

Select "Bitmap Options" (bottom middle) and make sure Transparency is set to "Alpha Transparency". In addition make sure "Hide Picture Outline" is selected and your "Use Current Color" is unselected. Finally change Make Path to "absolute path."

Step Three:

Navigate and select the PNG file "BookPageFilter" hit OK

Step Four:

Click and drag the PNG file until it's correctly sized on your screen, use the CTRL to distort the image for a more customized fit, or SHIFT key to rotate things.

Because you are dealing with a raster PNG, with limited resolution, you should be able to print maps up to 20 inches in diameter before noticeable artifacts start appearing.

I placed my drawing on a new sheet, to make sure it always remains the top most layer.

Step Five:

Select Sheets and Effects
    Activate Sheet Effects
    Select "Whole Drawing" under "Effects that apply to"
    Click "Add"
    Click "Adjust Hue/Saturation"
    Set Lightness to 50%

This step reduces the bright colors, and gives an effect similar to a Desaturated image. Apparently setting a Saturation level only works for vector art (land/water), but Lightness works on both vector and raster art.

Step Six:

Use the Zoom Region Tool (magnifying glass with the blue box) to center the drawing on the screen.

Step Seven:

Print the active window, or save it out as a BMP ^^

* Note: Despite selecting "print active window" I still get some of the "extra" map along the top and bottom. If you know a way to only print what you see on screen please let me know.

If you have any suggestions or enhancements requests please post here!

Download Links:

PNG Download Link

PSD (Advanced) Download Link

-Avotas
  • Sooo .... how did it go? Any interest?
  • That's great, Avotas, tried the png insertion and it works fine. I'll look into the *unsaturation* asap but have several projects to complete first...
  • edited August 2009
    Yes, I am certainly interested! But I need to complete my current project first and that one is huge :-)
    Thanks for posting!
  • edited August 2009
    If there is enough demand, I was thinking about producing a pack of different effects. (Wrinkles, Holes (Cut & Burned), Torn Edges, Rips, Folds, Etc) Now that the process is worked out, I am overflowing with concepts and idea's.
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Traveler
    I believe that would be a number of people who would be interested. Including me.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Oh yea. I'll definitely be interested as well.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Yes, please, absolutely. Stunning work Avotas.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Awesome work, Avotas. Seeing more of these effects available would be great!
  • 21 days later
  • I still have to try this one out, but your effects looks great!
  • edited September 2009
    To give everyone an update, I have started work on a professional quality pack with numerous effects and visual styles. The bundle will include nearly 20 different effects based off historical documents with various paper types and artistic styles.

All work is created by hand, and carefully blended for as realistic result as possible.

Stay tuned for information on a release date in the coming months.

-Avotas