Printing Wizard

Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
What changes would you like to see to the print dialog? We are considering introducing a wizard, like the very succesful New Drawing Wizard. We could also add specific margin sizes, page numbers or similar. In particular, we want to support the very high proportion of users who are creating maps with miniatures. Post your ideas. Illos of dialogs are especially useful.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I don't usually use the CC3 print option but export to jpeg or bitmap before.

I don't even know if the following has something to do with your question but I took a look at the help concerning print and there's something odd:
    In the scale factor you give as an example an 1/8th scale and give the settings as
    paper 1/8" drawing 1'. I would have said 1/8" to 1"
    paper 1/8 drawing 12. Again 1/8 to 1
    paper 1drawing 96 not 1 to 8
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks more like a 1/96th scale than a 1/8th.

One thing to add with scale dialog could be automatic tilling or at least a dialog saying something like 'If you want to print your map with that scale you need to set the tiling to x times y. Ok to proceed (Y/N)?"

The other thing that disturbs me is the preview. How are the printer margins taken in account ? They don't show in the preview (I used fit to page, active window which is a zoomed area). Does it mean that what I see will be printed inside the printer margin (I hate printer margins) or that those margins will crop what I see ?
    Also the preview with tiling shows the partition of the map but not how each part fits on the paper.
    I know I only need to try to have the answer but I don't want to waste ink and paper and think the answer could benefit others.
    You'd probably need extra code to implement printer margins but I think those parameters should not be to hard to find, or ?
    One last thing with preview : sheet selection is not taken in account (ie if I choose current sheet only, all visible sheets appear on the preview)

I reckon I don't use CC3 print because I never could get what I really wanted but it was sometimes ago and things may have changed. I'm however quite happy with my arrangement but understand other users want to be able to use CC3 direct print and you might even manage to convince me to do it :)

Hoping this long post is not out of topic...

P.S. err, what's an Illo ? Illustration ? (sorry, english's not my first language)
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    CC3 always prints to the edge of the printable area, so the preview shows what will be printed in the printable area, ignoring margins. We could "take margins into account", but you;d have to explain what you mean by that.

Illo is an illustration.
  • edited June 2009
    Posted By: Simon RogersWe could "take margins into account", but you;d have to explain what you mean by that.
    I mean that I'd like to see my whole paper sheet delimitated with the pics positionned.
    illo.jpg 149.9K
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Very helpful, thank you.
  • bearclawbearclaw Traveler
    I'll second that one! Love to see a True print preview.
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited June 2009
    Yes, that sort of print preview would be very helpful, especially when using the tiling option. And if the print wizard could help you calculate, or better yet calculate for you, how many sheets you need horizontally and vertically, especially when you want to print a scale distance with a set paper distance = drawing distance and even a % overlap, that would be ideal.
  • SkidAceSkidAce Traveler
    Posted By: jaerdaphYes, that sort of print preview would be very helpful, especially when using the tiling option. And if the print wizard could help you calculate, or better yet calculate for you, how many sheets you need horizontally and vertically, especially when you want to print a scale distance with a set paper distance = drawing distance and even a % overlap, that would be ideal.
    Doesn't it do this already?